23. A New Start

After leaving the Ahlveyr siblings to their own devices, Yras searched for his brother. Yzuan was most likely right in thinking their father attended the palace at the moment, but he would be home eventually. In the meantime, Yras needed to come to terms with the rather intrusive situation.

Down the stairs and through a well-lit corridor, Yras found Yzuan talking with one of the guards. They were near the side of the manor, a door on the right leading out to a pleasant garden. Not many flowers grew in Fumari, but the crops were plentiful. Being a member of higher society did not stop the Muhnad family from tending to their own sample of vegetables.

Aside from the garden, one other sight greeted Yras as he approached his brother. Yzuan was frowning, the guard exasperated as he attempted to explain what sounded like an uninvited guest. Yzuan rolled his eyes as he noticed his younger brother.

"Yras, you've been home little more than an hour and already you've brought attention to us."

Instead of questioning his words, Yras looked to the guard. He stepped aside to reveal the doorway to the garden. A familiar figure stood there, arms crossed as their eyes met. It was the daughter of Duke Tajuras Ashmar of the city of Yenhaji. The same woman Yzuan had tried to woo before accepting the truth the rejection carried.

"Huhnan." There was no stopping the smile that graced Yras, nor the slight acceleration in his steps as he went to greet his friend.

Despite the air of vexation she carried with her, a small smile quirked at her lips. Huhnan stood tall, near his own height at 5 foot 11. Her dark skin hid behind flowing white fabrics, perfect to keep the heat of the sun away from her. Her hair laid flat down her back, gentle waves reaching her waist. Brown eyes harsh, she stared past a pointed nose at him.

"Yras," she began, voice low. "I could not help but notice the odd company you're housing."

Yzuan stepped away with a loud groan. "How long did it take the rumors this time?"

She threw her gaze at him. "From the sound of it, not long at all. Care to authenticate? I hear your guests are from Belind."

Laughing, Yras shook his head. "Close. Believe it or not, we brought a few people from Ehvera back with us."

Her eyes widened just enough to be noticeable, though to the untrained eye, perhaps little changed. "Ehvera? That name made its way around as well, but I hardly expected it to be true. For what reason are you harboring Ehverians? Did you kidnap them?" She addressed that last part to Yzuan, who held up his hands in surrender.

"Why me?"

"Well I don't expect it of him."

Yras chuckled, though his grin wavered. As Yzuan relieved the guard, Yras mulled over how much to tell his friend. Was the Ehverian visitors being in Fumari meant to be a secret? Who all could he share that with? He knew there was no getting around telling the King, but other Lords and Ladies?

Huhnan focused on him again, stepping forward with quick strides. "What happened?" No more smiles, not that he was surprised.

Flickering his gaze to Yzuan, Yras let his mouth open in pause. Yzuan shook his head. Huhnan twisted to follow Yras' gaze, dark hair whipping around as she refocused on the younger brother.

"Tell me."

Closing his mouth, Yras frowned. First day back, yet he already felt exhausted. Should he have expected better from today? Really, only one noble clamoring at his back for answers should be considered a triumph. Though, the day still carried on; nothing could be promised with certainty until nightfall.