2: Reactions

Keeping her mouth shut while watching her brother walk away took less effort for Ollyah than it had in the past. As one of his only confidantes, she knew what issues he tried to suppress. No matter how many times Eske walked away from Ollyah without confiding in her his troubles, she refused to give up hope that he would change his mind and let out his innermost worries. Yet, more often than not, Eske left to wallow in his thoughts, alone, and she remained on the sidelines feeling helpless.

Eske had a right to privacy; Ollyah knew that. However, the same could be said for their other brother. No matter the quarrels among them, she found she could not bring herself to confront Bohjin on his secrecy. Not yet. When nothing changed, and Fumari's representatives drew closer, then would be appropriate. Not when her oldest brother stressed over it and dealt with angry councilmen chastising him all day.

There remained an option for her, however, that no one else could access. Perhaps she could question Queen Rime about her husband's decisions, but another choice would prove better. Besides, it was high time she spoke to them.

Too many weeks had past since she last saw her parents.

Pursing her lips, Ollyah turned to face the opposite entrance to the courtyard. An unwanted tension entered her shoulders, but nothing could be done for it. At this point in her life, she should be accustomed to the ritual necessary for the meeting; at times, she was quite content with it. Although it did not frighten her as much as it used to, lingering anxiety crept up when she considered going through with it.

Her magic was rare and powerful, but uncomfortable at the best of times.

Releasing the tension with a sigh, Ollyah left the courtyard and its peace behind. Striding through the torchlit halls, she headed for her favorite, yet least favorite, room in the castle.

The Pool.

Ehvera enjoyed a long history of prominent users of life magic. One mage in particular, Jule, made a name for herself as the most powerful life mage in history. At times, Ollyah found having Jule as an ancestor to be a blessing. Her blood remained powerful and rich with an affinity for life magic. Only, after going through generations of skilled mages, Jule's power warped and split among them. Olllyah liked to keep her specialty to herself, and only informed people she trusted.

There are few people worthy of her trust.

Keeping a slow pace, Ollyah continued through the corridors. Her personal guards, Jove and Don, were elsewhere at her request, leaving her alone to complain with Eske. This made the walk more bearable; Jove and Don never hurt her or bothered her, but their presence failed to make her feel safe.

Arriving at the large wooden doors separating her from the waters within, Ollyah stopped. Two guards were stationed on either side of the entrance. They took one look at her, not needing further instruction before opening the heavy doors. Ollyah nodded her thanks with a smile, one that disappeared the moment she crossed the threshold.

The Pool was a dark room; no windows shed light onto the still waters occupying the circular space. Doors closing behind her, Ollyah stood in darkness. Taking a deep breath, she took a single step forward. She shed the outer layers of her clothing, leaving it in a pile behind her as she walked further into the darkness.

The water greeted her, lapping at her legs as she descended the stone slope into the water. It was warm, comfortable. At times, entering The Pool was a soothing experience. Now, it served as a step towards a conversation she wished to avoid. Continuing her descent, the water enveloped her. At the center of The Pool, Ollyah stopped. Here, the water reached her shoulders.