17. Retrospect

With only two carriages, Yras spent more time on a horse or on foot than inside. The path to Fumari extended south, and it would take a week. They were not stopping at many villages this time around. The people on the outskirts of Ehvera may not recognize Ollyah, but Eske could not go many places without being recognized for his white hair. His hood could only cover so much.

Yras was fine with this; he liked spending time outdoors. Despite the long trek in front of him, he refused to spend time in the carriage. While crossing lands, either for leisure or to reach out as an ambassador, he preferred spending the time travelling on horseback rather than inside a stuffy carriage.

Chancing a glance at the closed carriage door, Yras slouched on his horse. He knew the Ehverian siblings were in there; they had yet to leave since forced inside. Though the first day of the trip came to a close, the door remained shut. Yras wanted to check on them, but he knew his gesture would only cause further problems.

Facing forward, he considered their arrival. How would his kingdom greet them? Would they scorn the Ehverians? He snorted at that. It was far more likely the citizens would ogle the Prince and Princess. Where Ehvera valued personal space, Fumari ignored it.

Yet, once the people got over their intrigue, questions would arise. Discussions of why there were foreigners from Ehvera. Speculation over why that nation would have agreed to send two prominent figures to Fumari. Rumors would spread of malevolence on the horizon. Yras frowned. They would not be wrong. He wished he knew what happened. The attack, Panjuun, unheard of magic—it all amplified his concern. He hated feeling uncertain, as though the future was entirely new, uncharted territory. Though it had always been like that in some form, it only seemed dangerous now that a mystery proceeded it.

King Azak was right; they had much for which to prepare. The attack on Ehvera did not have to be confined to the single kingdom. Yras played around with the idea that it was only a test, that the true attack had yet to come. Who is the real target? What was the goal?

Why had King Bohjin entrusted his siblings to Yras and his brother?

That question worried the younger lord. At their departure, King Bohjin may have been tense and nervous, but he and Queen Rime were prepared. They had everything packed and ready to go. Somehow, they knew, at the very least, something would happen that would lead to Prince Eske and Princess Ollyah leaving the kingdom.

That mere tidbit forced pressure on Yras. Two individuals he barely knew were now under his protection. That would not be too bad, if not for the fact that neither of the pair were social. Both Princess Ollyah and Prince Eske hated leaving the castle. Now, not only were they leaving their home behind, but their kingdom. Beyond these borders, everything must be frightening to them. Had the princess ever left? Yras could not remember hearing of any news regarding her travels, nor did she seem the type.

Throwing the carriage another worried look, Yras felt his unease tighten. Forget how he felt; what about them? At least Yras was going home. Their destination comforted him. It must be terrifying for the royals.

He wished so desperately to help relieve their fear.

***

Ignorant of the man's concerns, Eske sat in silence. His eyes burned from tears and lack of sleep, but it was out of his hands. Across from him, Ollyah slept. Though the benches were comfortable, and a blanket covered her, no look of content graced her face. Instead, her brows furrowed in worry, mouth turned just enough in a frown. Eske could not take his eyes off her.

This was not supposed to happen to her. For all these years, he wanted to protect her from the betrayal he knew she feared. It was never meant to happen. Last night, however, she was swarmed by a mob of her own people. Though she tried to put on a brave face when Bohjin sent them off, Eske knew just how frail she really felt.