10. Preparations

Once Ollyah had left and Eske had gone to meet with a cousin, Rime made her own plans. A few messengers had returned not too long ago, and with the setup and events going on, Rime had yet to check for any personal letters. She knew Bohjin had already collected political conversations and the like, but he would have left anything specifically for her alone.

Yet, when Rime sought out the messenger, nothing was left for her.

Disappointment had already begun brewing in preparation for such a find. Rime knew to not hope for letters from Tsunizar, and even less for those sent from her family. She understood that life was not simple enough to warrant maintained contact. Tsunizar never promoted socialization in the first place.

Knowing that did not make her any less annoyed by the lack of contact between her and her family. If her sister had been the one sent over in her place, then maybe letters would fly in by the bundle.

Rime threw her usual smile back on, ignoring the image of Kome, older and wiser, that lingered in her mind.

Instead, she made her way back to the fairgrounds. This being her first time aiding in the preparations for the Unity Festival, nervous did not quite match her mood. What if it did not go well? It was her duty as queen to care for Ehvera. It was her duty as an honorary Ehverian to treat their culture with respect.

Treat her culture.

Rime never forgot Tsunizar. There were still days when she would look out at the mountains and wonder how her old empire was faring. Did her mother still perform as a singer? Did her father ever learn how to make a meat broth? How was Kome? Those questions could be answered if they would just write to her.

That should no longer concern her. Ehvera houses her. She rules the beautiful kingdom alongside the rightful king.

Despite the truth to that—how much she should focus on her new home—Tsunizar will not be a simple memory. Maybe one day she and Bohjin could reinstate friendly connections between the kingdom and the empire.

Maybe one day.

With a fond smile, Rime refocused on her current engagement. Blue and violet banners billowed in the wind, surrounding the fairgrounds. Workers bustled about, hammering wood and setting markers for other locations. In five days, the fairgrounds would be transformed into a lively celebration. Invited artisans would have their own stands to sell their goods. Delicious food will be available at lowered prices. Bohjin had already met with select bards and groups to fill the air with upbeat songs.

It will be marvelous.

When she was seventeen, her first year in Ehvera as Bohjin's fiancée, the Unity Festival had been but a dream. Being foreign prevented her any invitation to the kingdom's festivities. It had saddened her, but looking back, she understood. Her first year in which she joined the celebration had been her wedding year. At that point, she officially belonged to Ehvera. Eske and Ollyah were not pleased, but they put up much less of a fight regarding her inclusion than their visitors' inclusion now. It made sense; she earned the right to enjoy Ehvera's traditions. Fumari's lords had done nothing to earn their spot in all of this.

Now, however, not only was she allowed to partake in the festival, she helped establish it. No one sought to kick her out. In truth, it was just the one year where she received the most obstacles.

Every year since her first, Rime challenged herself with fresh ideas and re-imaginations. There was a fine line between evolving an idea and rewriting it completely, and she knew where she stood. None of Ehvera's traditions were at stake. All she did was add to the fun with minute changes that represented the growing technology and time. Though some lords disagreed with a change here and there, nothing too drastic took place. Lord Haln Ahlveyr accepted most of Rime's suggestions with little argument. Now that she was directly involved, it was even easier.