Chapter 13: Thousands

For a machine, waiting shouldn't be a task. It should be a requirement. I suppose Cyberlife messed up on that, because I find waiting paradoxically boring and useless. I'm waiting for Lance to wake up, for Connor to contact me again, and not to mention, waiting to solve this singular red ice case, that will hopefully lead to a larger investigation.

Patience. I suppose that's what Dr. Lance forgot to program. I simply sat on the couch for a few hours until 6am, when Lance finally awoke. I could hear his footsteps as he paced the upstairs getting ready for work. I'm mostly excited to change back into my uniform. Needless to say, these undercover clothes are getting old.

Deputy Lance walked down the stairs at around 7am, carrying his niece, Margot, in his arms.

"Oh. Right. Could you run upstairs and grab Margot's crutches, Charlotte?" He asked.

He placed Margot on the sofa and went to grab her shoes. I headed upstairs and checked the first door on the right. It's the bathroom. The second door on the right. Deputy Lance's room. I decide to peek inside, and it's messy. The floor is covered in clothes. He has a dresser to the right which has pictures of him and his sister, as well as his niece. I turned to my left and saw a table with envelopes and papers on them.

Picking one up I saw that it was an estimate from the hospital for a pair of cybernetic legs, costing around $20,000.

Deputy Lance has written below it.

Christmas bonus - $1000
Annual Report bonus - $1000
5 year bonus - $2000
Loan - $5000
Per paycheck - $500

1 yr

He's saving money to get his niece a pair of cybernetic legs. I put the paper down, and closed the door.

Opening up the final door on the right, I saw what looked like Fiona's room. She saw me, and turned to me.

Her room was neat, without a bed, but the walls were covered in papers with a variety of words like Jericho, rA9, and Simon. She looked at me.

"What do you need?" She asked. She was looking out the window.

"I'm looking for Margot's room."

"Across the hall. Last room," She explained, before continuing to look out.

I turned around and walked across the hall, opening up the last door on the left side.

I saw the crutches directly to the left, and picked them up. I took them downstairs, where I saw that Christen was awake and sipping on coffee. I handed off the crutches to Deputy Lance.

"Ah. Thanks, Charlotte," he said, taking the crutches "We just have to drop Margot off at school, then we can head to work."

"You know every day I offer to take her to school," Christen said to me.

"And I tell you that I don't mind one bit," Lance responded, helping Margot get the crutches into her arms.

"Could you just spot her from behind? Make sure nothing gets caught under her crutches," Lance asked.

I nodded. He helped Margot get started in her crutches, so that she could get down to the car. I followed them, and when she got into the backseat, I got into the passenger seat.

We dropped Margot off, and headed off to the station. The first thing I did was head off to change into my uniform. Now...that's better.

"Lance, I need to analyze the last piece of evidence," I called from the hallway. Lance, who was at his desk, climbed down the stairs.

"Alright. Let's get down to the evidence locker," Lance said, moving quickly. He lead me down to the room, where I watched him type in his extremely insecure password of "Margot."

The evidence locker shifted around, showing Deputy Lance's section. I went to the last section where the Red Ice collected from the Eden Club was.

I sampled it and began my analysis.

Analyzing...

Red Ice - 98% pure, with traces of aluminum. High quality. Originated from Detroit's Red Light District.

Triangulating...

Analyzing...

"Blackout. It's called Blackout. It's a bar located in the first quadrant of the Red Light District. This is likely where they have been distributing red ice to dealers in the Red Light District," I explained.

"Them? Holy shit. I always thought they might be up to something. They don't open until 11 tonight...but that gives us time."

"Time for what?"

"We're going to need way better covers."