Chapter 16: Critical Failure

"I'm not a cop," I answered.

"Yes. You are. I just know it. I've seen you somewhere," She said, nervously.

Analyzing memory...

She was working in the liquor store, where Lieutenant Anderson was.

"Fine. What do I need to do for you to keep your mouth shut?" I asked.

"Nothing," She answered. "That piece of shit who owns this place? He can go to Hell. The dealings happen in the attic. All I know is that you have to ask for a private room to even get access to the attic. From there? I don't know what."

"What do you mean? What's so awful about the guy who owns the place?"

"Don't ask too many questions. Just...stay smart. Don't go up there alone. Trust me. Just...you need to end up there. He spends the whole night up there, and I'm positive that he's dealing drugs. Just...go," She said, dashing out of sight.

I ran out of the bathroom. I need to go get the Deputy right now. She's...I have the feeling...I have the intuition...I'm calculating that something serious is about to go down, and I can't handle this on my own. I just...can't.

"Sorry...I need to get something from my car," I said, pushing past the bouncer. I walked down to the car where Lance was.

"Nick, I'm sorry to bother you, but you're going to need to get in here faster."

"What's wrong, Charlotte?" Nick asked, turning to me.

"I don't...I don't know. I'm worried, and I think we need to move faster," I answered.

"Okay, Charlotte. I'll be inside. Give me two minutes," Nick answered, grabbing his gun, and loading it.

I ran back inside, and sat back down at the bar to wait. The bar tender looked nervously at me. She's...afraid.

Analyzing...

She has bruises...on her wrists. Is he...abusing her? Abusing his waitresses? Or...something even worse?

My mission? To locate Red Ice dealers across Detroit, and dismantle their network. No. My mission right now is to save this woman. Protect her. Take down this dealer in specific. End his network.

Changing mission...

Critical failure.

What? What do you mean critical failure? Change the fucking mission. Change it right now.

Changing mission...

Critical failure.

No! Change it right now!

Changing mission...

Critical failure.

This clearly won't work. I...I'm just going to have to go off of my mission. Change my priorities. I don't know. I can't...I can't calculate my way out of this one. I have to abandon my mission, just for a moment. Just...deviate from the plan.

"Don't worry," I told the bar tender. "I'll take care of him."

She nodded, and at that moment, Lance walked in. He strolled over to the bar and sat down. I checked to my left and right. We're the only two people at the bar. They shouldn't hear me.

"The attic. We need a private room," I explained to Nick quietly. He nodded.

"Can I get a Long Island Iced Tea for this pretty lady over here?" Nick told the bar tender. She nodded, and slipped over to me the drink.

Analyzing...

Oh...this is...disgusting, Nick. Do you really get this for women you find attractive? Don't take this the wrong way...but no wonder you're not married. Anyway, I'm going to act like I enjoy this, and as though I find Nick moderately attractive.

"Aw, you didn't have to," I answered.

"Just...play it up," Nick said leaning up against the bar, smiling at me. "You sound so unnatural when you try to flirt. Just look like you are. Don't...fuckin speak."

"Haha, yeah," I answered, playing with my hair.

"Oh my God. Do neither. This is terrifying," Nick joked.

"Yeah, you're not much better. A Long Island Iced Tea?" I answered, touching his leg in a flirty manner. "Those are disgusting. No wonder you're not married."

"Haha. I hate you," Nick answered, laughing, and touching my leg back.

"I hate you too," I responded.

"Let's go ask for that private room. I think we've been acting like douchey 20 somethings for long enough," he said rolling his eyes. He stood up, and I followed as we walked up to the man guarding the attic.

"Could we rent a private room?" Nick asked, as he leaned against the wall.

"They're a grand an hour," The bouncer answered.

"Yeah? So?" Nick answered.

"Fine," the bouncer said, opening the door. "Room 3. You're time starts now."

Nick and I headed up the stairs, and we strolled into the room. "Holy shit. A grand an hour? If I spent all night here? I could buy one of you," Nick said, gesturing about the room.

"We need to have probable cause to enter the office, and we need to move quickly. Look around the room for evidence," I said, moving into the corner of the room quickly.

Nick checked the drawers. "Jesus, I don't event want to imagine what would happen if we took a black light to this room."

"I have that setting," I answered, scanning the walls.

"Please no," He answered.

There's nothing on this wall. I check under the bed, and see a small packet of Red Ice in the bed frame. "I found product," I answered standing up.

"I have paraphernalia," Nick answered, holding up a pipe.

"Let's go," I answered, taking my gun out of it's holster.