Chapter 1: Promise

"Sing me a song..."

"Okay, but um, I'm not that good of a singer." Rick sighed laying next to the small girl as she giggled at his comment. He had found her in an abandoned car 2 days earlier while riding a horse he got from a nearby farm.

"You are my sunshine, my only sunshine. You make me happy, when skies are grey. You'll never know, dear, how much I love you. Please don't take my sunshine away."

"Goodnight." Rick whispered peering down at the young girl. He placed a blanket over her and her stuffed bear in her arms careful to wake the exhausted child. How could something this shitty happen to someone as innocent as her? She couldn't be more then seven and she had already lost everything...everyone. He wasn't going to let her lose anything more, she deserved the world, as bad as it was. He would find his family and she would become his own.

~~~~~~~~~~~

"Indi, time to wake up."

Rick softly shook Indigo awake as she yawned. Her eyes opened revealing the energetic dark blue hidden beneath. The girl leaned up causing blonde locks of her hair to fall over face. Indi was small for her age but it made her good at hiding, at least that's what she thought.

"Where are we going?"

"Atlanta. To find my wife and son."

"Rick? Will we be safe there?"

"As long as you're with me, I'll never let anything happen to you."

"-y...you won't leave me though right?"

Rick kneeled down to the young girls level, "I'll never leave you, Indi. You're family now."

"You promise?"

"I promise."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

a/n:

I know Chapter 1 was pretty short but the chapters will get longer as the story progresses. Indigo and Ricks back story will also be in other chapters. Feel free to leave comments, votes, feedback etc. (Thank You so much if you do) I thought writing a fanfic would be fun so Thankyou again if you take the time to give it a chance.