Chapter 33: A Visit into Town

Indigo hummed along to the headphones Beth had given her for the car ride to town. Beth was super nice and she never knew why she was so distant towards her. I guess it was because she had never had someone that felt like a sister. Beth's pa, Hershel had gone into town earlier and Indigo thought she would tag along no matter how much Glenn and Rick tried to stop her. Indigo smiled as she drew the farm in her sketchbook. She missed moments like this, it felt nice to be on the road again. Staying in one spot made her uncomfortable.

They finally made it into town coming to a stop. Indi closed her book slipping it back inside her bag and they all got out slamming the doors closed. Indigo followed close behind Glenn and Rick who opened the doors to a bar. As they entered, they were greeted by Hershel's back. He was drinking some sort of brown substance, probably alcohol. The place reeked of mould and dust.

Indigo zoned out of the adults conversation. She didn't understand half of what they were talking about anyway but she could tell Hershel was sad because he was drinking the liquor pa used to drink when he was upset. Except pa was always tired if he drank, momma thought it was hilarious.

Her thoughts were disturbed by the sound of the bar doors opening. It a skinny guy and a bigger dude. They shot glances at the strangers as they did the same thing to them.

"Son of a bitch. They're alive." One of the men said in awe breaking the awkward atmosphere. He walked towards the small group pouring himself a glass taking a seat, "I'm Dave." He pointed over at the other guy, "That scrawny-looking douche bag there is Tony."

"Eat me, Dave." The bigger man yelled from across the bar.

"Hey, maybe someday I will."

Indigo scrunched her face up in disgust, "urgh."

"We met on I-95 coming out of Philly." Dave said placing down his glass, "Damn shit-show that was."

"I'm Glenn." Glenn introduced himself smiling, "It's nice to meet some new people."

The men smiled as did Rick who turned to them, "Rick Grimes."

"And the girl?" Dave asked grabbing out a pack of cigarettes from his pocket placing them on the side table.

"Indigo." She said tightening the strap of her backpack. She was unsure about these guys.

"How about you, pal?" Dave bellowed softly towards Hershel offering whiskey, "Have one?"

"I just quit." Hershel replied circling his finger around his glass he had finished off before they arrived.

"You've got a unique sense of timing, my friend."

"His name's Hershel." Rick said, "He lost people days back, a lot of them."

"I'm truly sorry to hear that." Dave whispered then lightly lifted up his glass, "To better days and new friends. And to our dead...may they be in a better place."

The men all sighed clinking glasses taking a sip. Dave leaned forward placing his glass down revealing a revolver in the back of his pants. He noticed Indigo looking before taking it out smiling, "Not bad, huh? I got it off a cop."

Indigo looked at it curiously, "Rick used to be a cop."

Dave looked at him lifting his eyebrows, "Is that so?"

Rick smiled at the thought then shrugged cautiously, "well...used to be."

"This one was already dead." Dave replied quickly causing the room to go silent. He slouched back in his seat. Rick eyeing him now aware he has a weapon.