Chapter 27: Alive Just

Indigos deep blue eyes shot open as she let out a deep breath. Her chest lifting up and down violently. She searched the room anxiously realising she was surrounded by people she didn't know.

"Rick?!" She screamed as the door to the room burst open. A familiar face entered the room as she held out her arms.

"Where are we?" She cried coughing, "who are those people?"

"Hey, little one." Rick was in disbelief at the little girl stuttering between sentences, "T-that's Hershel. We're in his house. You had an accident. All right?"

Indigo felt a sharp pain across her stomach and chest every time she leaned forward to escape the torture of being bedridden, "It hurts, a lot."

"I know. I know." Rick soothed, Daryl and Glenn happened to walk into the room along side Lori.

Indigo managed to make a weak smirk, "You should have seen it."

"What?" Daryl and Glenn said in sync.

"The deer. It was so pretty." Indigos eyes glistened at the thought of the beautiful animal, "It was so close. Led me right to you all. I've never been..." Indigo felt herself stop suddenly as panic shot over her body. What was happening?! She felt her body tense unable to lunge for the comfort of Rick. Her vision grew blurry as she felt herself flail across the mattress as if she had no control.

"Indigo?! What is happening?" Rick yelled hovering his hands over the fragile body of the small girl. Indigo grunted uncontrollably as Hershel placed his hands on Ricks.

"Don't. It's a seizure." He stated, "If you hold her down, you could hurt her."

"Yah can't stop it?" Daryl spat, Hershel shook his head softly as they all watched the pain the small girl was going through.

"She has to just go through it." Hershel responded, Lori began sobbing as Rick held her close.

"Her brain isn't getting enough blood. Her pressure is bottoming." Hershel stated eyeing Rick, "She needs a transfusion."

"Okay, I'm ready." Rick told him quickly and Hershel shook his head.

"If I take any more out of you, your body could shut down. You could go into a coma. - Or cardiac arrest." Hershel told him, "Besides you aren't her blood type for all we know, it's a miracle she even got this far without any transfusions."

"You're wasting time." Rick yelled. Indigo calmed down from her seizure as her world once again fell into the complete lonesome of her consciousness.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

1 month ago {flashback}

Ricks P.O.V.

"Before it happened we were standing there in the woods and this deer just crossed right in front of us. I swear it just planted itself there and looked Carl right in the eye. And I looked at Carl looking at that deer, and that deer looking right back at Carl. Then Indigo, that little girl, she just came out of nowhere and that moment just..." Rick sighs rubbing the temples of his forehead, "Slipped away. It slipped away. That's what Indigo was talking about when she woke up, not about getting shot or what happened at the highway. She talked about something beautiful, something living. There's still a life for us, a place maybe like this. It isn't all death out there. It can't be. We just have to be strong enough after everything we've seen to still believe that. Why is it better for Carl and Indigo to live even in this world? She talked about the deer, Lori. She talked about the deer."

Lori kissed her husband on the forehead. She didn't know how to reply, he was there, she wasn't. She just had to support him. Their attention turned towards the door to Indigos room, Hershel walked out wiping his hand on a cloth which was stained with Indi's blood. Rick flinched at the young girls blood, "how are they?"

"They're still losing blood faster than we can replace it. And with the swelling in Carl's abdomen and Indigos chest, we can't wait any longer or they're just going to slip away. Now I need to know right now if you want me to do this, because I think your boy and especially that girl is out of time. You have to make a choice. "

"A choice?" Lori said in disbelief.

"A choice." Rick whispered turning to Lori, "You have to tell me what it is. You have to tell me what it is."

"We do it." Lori sobbed placing her hand on her husbands face staring at the two children.

Hershel nodded moving around the room between the two kids, "Okay, get the corner of that bed. Let's get the sheets down. Get the I.V. bag on the sheet." Hershel held the side of the bed sheet, Rick on the other as they lifted Carl onto the table, "Okay, on three. One, two, three." Indigo was lifted onto another table as Rick sighed and Lori stood by in worry. Hershel grabbed one of his tools then looked at the couple, "Rick, Lori, you may want to step out."

Rick and Lori left the room giving both Hershel and Patricia some space when he heard an engine of a truck rumble.

"Oh God." Rick muttered squeezing Lori's hand, "You stay here with him."

Rick screeched the door to the patio open letting it slam as he made his way towards Shane who looked like he had been through hell.

"Carl?" Shane asked in concern.

Rick nodded, "There's still a chance."

The two made their way back up to the house when Hershel came out quietly, "Otis?"

Shane shot a glance towards the floorboards, "No."

Hershel nodded softly keeping his calm composure, "We say nothing to Patricia. Not till after. I need her." The two men nodded as Hershel took the medical equipment off of Shane and made his way back into the room.

Rick sat down beside Shane, "They kept blocking us at every turn. We had nothing left. We were down to 10 rounds. Then he said...he said he'd cover me and that I should keep going." Shane stated but Rick noticed a look on Shane's face that he had never seen but he didn't think much of it, "So that's what I did. I just...I kept going. But I...I looked back and he...I tried. He wanted to make it right."