Chapter 18: The C.D.C.

Indigo sat nearby as usual listening, this time she was inside the tent listening to Lori and Carl's breaths, the occasional static of Ricks walkie talkie. He was trying to reach his friend Morgan again to advise him of their plan.

"We're moving out, leaving the quarry. If you heard me yesterday, you may be coming here. If you are, we'll be gone by the time you arrive. I'm leaving a note and map behind for you taped to a red car so you can follow our trail. We're heading to the C.D.C. If there's anything left, it's got to be there, don't you think? Morgan...I hope you were right about that place. I need you to be."

Indigos eyes flickered around the tent, the light of the sunrise slowly seeping in introducing another day. Still holding Bear, Indigo got up and exited the tent seeing Rick. He looked tired.

"Hi, Rick." She whispered careful to wake Lori and Carl.

"Hey, honey." He smiled ruffling her hair which had already been attacked by the comfort of her sleeping bag, "How'd you sleep?"

She shrugged, "Alright I guess."

Rick knew the girl hadn't slept that good by the dark rings under her eyes. The two turned their attention towards the RV when they hear coughs, "Jim must be awake." Rick stated and the girl nodded softly.

"Is he going to be okay..." Indigo looked up at Rick.

"Honestly, I don't know..." Indigo looked bothered by this shifting her gaze towards the ground. Rick placed his arm around her, "I'm sure he'll get better though."

Indigo smiled softly, "Okay, good."

"You ready to leave?" Rick asked her and Indigo nodded unsure.

"I guess so." She replied, "Rick?"

"Yeah, Indi?" He looked down at her, the morning sun lighting up her face.

"We'll be safe right...I mean once we get to that building that you always talk about?"

Rick smiled at the girl, "Everything will be okay, Indi."

"Everybody listen up." Shane called out, Rick and Indigo turning their attention to him. Lori and Carl slipped out of the tent stretching, "Those of you with C.B.s, we're gonna be on channel 40. Let's keep the chatter down, okay?"

Everyone nodded, others shoving their things into the backs of cars. Lori and Carl pulled out their sleeping bags rolling them and then placing them next to what Rick had already packed earlier.

Shane gestured towards the cars, "Now you got a problem, don't have a C.B., can't get a signal or anything at all, you're gonna hit your horn one time. That'll stop the caravan. Any questions?"

Morales stepped up quietly, "We're, uh...we're...we're not going." Indigos heart sank, tears threatening to escape her eyes.

"We have family in Birmingham." Miranda stated softly, "We want to be with our people." Morales placed an arm around his wife and kids.

"You go on your own, you won't have anyone to watch your back." Shane warned as Morales nodded in understanding.

"We'll take the chance. I got to do what's best for my family."