Chapter 22: Good Things Don't Last

"I guess I'm losing hope that you can hear me."

Indigo eyed Rick as she sat on top of the RV. He looked, lost. He was talking into his walkie talkie again. She drew him on her drawing pad, his sheriff hat was outlined in brown. Carl and Lori were in it too. She smiled at the drawing.

"But there's always that chance, isn't there? That slim chance. It's all about slim chances now. I tried to do everything right, keep people safe. I tried, Morgan. I tried."

It had been a couple of days since the C.D.C blew up and they had stopped for a day, they all needed the break. Indigo looked over at their small set up. Lori and Carl were folding clothes, others looking through wrecked cars for useful supplies. Not that they found anything by their disappointed faces. Sophia and Carol were cutting fruit we had left from a few days back.  Everyone looked tired, sad. T-Dog especially, Indigo could tell he missed, Jacqui.

"Our group's smaller now. We lost another, day before last. It was her choice. I won't say I blame her, but she lost faith. The CDC was a dead end. I met a man there, a scientist. He told me something. He told me...it doesn't matter. What matters is we're moving on. Atlanta's done."

Indi grabbed her bag shoving her drawings and pencils inside it. She grabbed the end of the ladder sliding down it like a fire pole. Glenn had taught her to do that, she found it fun to do from time to time. Her boots made a crunch on the gravel beneath her small feet as she made her way towards Daryl. Everyone thought he was scary, but she liked him. He reminded her of her brother. She wondered where he was, why he left her and her parents.

"Whatcha' doing?" Her voice sung. Daryl smiled a little seeing the small girl curiously stare at what he was doing.

"Skinning a rabbit. Wanna' try?" His voice was husky. Indigo stared at the dead animal.

"Okay..." She said unsure looking back up at Rick.

"Go on, he won't mind." Daryl noticed her concern as she grabbed the knife off Daryl.

"We're gonna try for Fort Benning. We're facing a long hard journey, maybe even harder than I can imagine. But it can't be harder than our journey's been so far. Can it? 125 miles-- That's what lies ahead. And I'm trying hard not to lose faith. I can't. If I do, the others...my family, my wife...my son...Indigo. There's just a few of us now. So we've got to stick together, fight for each other, be willing to lay down our lives for each other if it comes to that."

"Hey, Daryl!" Dale yelled out, "We're starting up again soon. Can you make sure Indigos got everything?"

"It's the only chance we've got."

Indigo held Daryl's hand after they had washed them off. They walked towards the RV as Daryl let go of her hand giving the girl one last smile. He headed towards his motor bike as she watched him through the window. One day she would convince Daryl to let her ride with him. She listened to the hum of the engine start turning around to see Andrea who was still angry at her and Dale. She looked empty, more so, after what happened back at the C.D.C.

"Be careful out there, Morgan. I hope you and Duane are okay. Stay off the road. Keep moving. Keep your eyes open. I don't know, just-- just be safe. Maybe we'll see you in Fort Benning someday. Rick signing off."

"Rick you ready to go?" Glenn placed a hand on the man's shoulder.

"Let's go."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Spending time inside a car cramped was not Indi's idea of fun. They were all talking about the Grand Canyon as she hummed softly to herself. Being the youngest sucked because she wasn't interested in anything they all talked about. The RV began to slow down as she peeked out the window.