Chapter 30

Stephano’s POV

*

        Crack! Hiss! Thump!

The continuous sound of someone hissing and hitting things somewhere at the back, around the garden caught my attention. The light was dim there, and so I kept my phone in my pocket after pressing the power button and traced the sounds I was hearing.
I frowned at the figure but then realized that the person was none other than Kara.

She looked beautiful this night, I couldn’t take my eyes off her and even though I knew the pressure on her was quite much with the announcement I was making tonight, I was glad we would now be lovers.
After this night, I just knew we would become more comfortable around each other.

With her, I wanted to do couple things. I wanted nothing than to hold her hands, listen to her tell me about her future plans and even watch her sleep all day. I was obsessed with her very being.

My lips parted open and a smile stretched onto my face as I approached her but I halted in my steps when she stomped on something twice, muttering profanities and repeating the words ‘you’re stupid Kara, very stupid!’

Her teeth were gritted as she produced the words and her eyes were narrowed at the ground. Then she sat on a long bench by the edge of the flowers that was situated just a few feet away, her hands coming over to cover her face as her shoulders wracked.
My jaws had their mind of their own, because they instantly grinded against each other.

What made Kara this upset?

It wasn’t more than a few minutes that I came out to call my business investors who had made the suggestion because they knew about this event and were on their way from Zimbabwe, all the way from Africa. 

I needed to earn their trust because I wanted to set up two companies producing both household wares and edible products side by side in a suitable environment in their country and they were recommended to be the best in deals like mine. I went closer to her, taking cautious steps and placed my hand on her shoulder.

Instantly, she stiffened. In high school, I knew girls used to bitch about when they were angry and right now, Kara looked really angry.

Would she attack me? I quietly prayed not. I knew couples usually had issues to deal with but some years of dating Danielle educated me that I should never upset a girl or leave her angry for too long.

“Kara? What’s wrong?”

She just ignored me, staying in the same position like a statue. This was unlike the usually bubbly Kara. I tried to remember if I’d said anything to upset her at any point but came short. I clearly hadn’t.

“Kara?” I called again.

She raised her head up to look at me and I felt my heart get squeezed painfully.

Her eyes were glistening, as if she would burst into tears any moment.

Her hair didn’t look as smooth as it was earlier this evening and her lips were slightly trembling as if she wanted to tell me something but was having difficulty in making up her mind whether to do so or not. Did someone say something that upset her so badly?

If they did, then they would be sorry when I finally get to know about it. “What happened? Talk to me Kara.”

I was met with more silence as she shook her head. She wasn’t even making an attempt to tell me or give me any sort of assurance that she was okay.

I placed a hand on her cheek but she flinched as if my touch was scalding. It was now my turn to flinch also, because different thoughts were running through my mind. Her act burned me. I felt the impact in my chest. Someone I cared about so much blatantly rejected my comfort and the heaviness weighed me down.