Chapter 9

Scarlet

In the same place I was a year ago, walking in the park after an argument. The only difference is, the arguments are now with jahseh. I never thought I would come back to this place so early in the relationship. I should have stayed and talked it out with him but his actions were affecting me.

When he left without warning, turned off his and never came back. It provoked another side of me, my whole life, those who I have loved most; Disappear from my life without an explanation. Meaning I'm used to the feeling, but jahseh, I've said this before, is different.

Him leaving made me feel as if, this was the end. Him going through the door was the last time I'll ever see him. This caused him to bring out the worst in me last night. I understand that he loves me and wanted to do who knows what with that guy from the store. However, jahseh has been in trouble with the police about stuff like this and who knows, the guy could have been a gang member.

Jahseh told me he has enemies meaning if they're messing with me, they're only trying to get to him. I've seen his scars, each with a different story. Him trying to find someone that could possibly hurt him, could earn him a new story or end his story.

I walked around the park for the 17th time till I felt my phone vibrate in my pocket. I sat down at a new by bench and pulled it out to see 'JAHSEH' pop up on the screen. I wanted to ignore the call but deep down, I couldn't do what he did to me. Like he said last night, it won't solve anything.

I pressed answer and put the phone up to my ear. "Hey." I simply said.

"Hey, where are you?" His voice sound so calm, I expected him to be infuriated. " I'm not far, just at the park. Are you ok, I thought you would be upset." I asked him.

He went quiet for a moment. " I am, but not with you thought. I'm upset with myself. While you were gone, I thought about the things you said. Turning off my phone was one of the worst things I could have done. I now admit it, I regret it. Honestly, I never went to fond the guy, I just wanted some space to think."

I was about to respond when I heard a car pulled up. And there he was, jahseh, with the phone up to his ear. I stood but didn't move.

"And I'm sorry, genuinely. You don't have to forgive me now but i.." he confessed but I hung up the phone before he could finish.

I walked to the car and got in. " I forgive you jahseh." I snatched his face and smashed my lips onto his but it only lasted a couple seconds.

" I forgive you jahseh, but your gonna have to work your way back up." He then started laughing as If I was fucking joking.

" Work my way back to what scarlet?"

"Work your way back to sleeping in the bed. Your actions are forgiven but never forgotten. Your action have consequences." I gave him a serous look.

" Alright, I'll give you that but at the end of the day, I love you and I'm just trying to protect you."

With that, jahseh started the car and started driving. I thought he was heading to the house, till he started going the other way. "Jahseh, Where are we going?"

He then smiled but still focusing on the road. " I know you haven't eaten since you left the house, so we're going to IHOP."

We were on the road for 10 minutes before we arrives at the restaurant. Once jahseh parked the car, I went to get out until I noticed jahseh wasn't getting out and seemed to be in deep thought. I called out his name but no response. I waived him off and attempted to get out the car until I felt him grab my arm. 

" What did you say that guy looked like again?" He randomly asked. I again, gave him the description. I asked him why but he just told me never mind.

Both of us got out the car and went in. the waitress lead us to a table and we ordered drinks. " Hey Jahseh, where did you go last night if you weren't walking the streets?"

He went quiet for a moment before answering. " I just drove down the street and sat in the car. Thinking about you. Thinking about how I hurt you without even thinking twice."

I smiled. " I forgive you Jahseh, you don't have to beat on yourself even more."

We finally got our drinks and ordered. I got blueberry pancakes while jahseh got strawberry pancakes, as we waited for our orders, I realize jahseh was acting Farley off. Every time I attempted to make a conversation with him, he wouldn't look at me. He would just give me a blunt answer and continue to stare off into the distance.

Just as the waitress brought our food, jahseh stood up from his seat. " Aye nigga, why do you keep following us!"

I quickly turned around to see the guy from the mall, how the hell did jahseh recognize him and how did he find me. The man stood up from his seat and headed towards the front door. But of course jahseh wasn't going to let him go.

I followed him as he walked out the door. I called out his name but he simply ignored me. Then he started running.

" Aye, where you goin!" Jahseh yelled out. The guy turned his head and soon started running but it was already too late. Jahseh caught up with him and tackled him to the ground. I watched as jahseh threw continuous punches at his face. The guy attempted to get up but jahseh didn't let him. Jahseh then put his arm around his neck and kept punching.

I felt as if I was in a trance, I've never seen jahseh this angry since the first day I met him. I then became detracted when I heard people yelling and screaming. I turned towards the restaurant and saw everyone coming out with their phones, recording or possibly calling the police.

" Jahseh! Jahseh! Stop we have to go, please stop!" I yelled as I attempted to pull him off.

When I finally pulled him off, I thought this was the end and we were going home before someone goes to jail. However, Jahseh thought the guy needed more. Before I was able to pull him away, jahseh spat on him and kicked him in the face, thus knocking him out.

" Please, lets go!" I pulled his arm and lead him to the car. He got in and I went around to the drivers seat. I punched the ignition button, hit the gas and hastily drove off.

"What the hell is wrong with you Jah, you shouldn't have caused a scene like that!"

" I told you scarlet, when I see him, I'm going to beat his ass." He said bluntly.

" Are you fucking kidding me, your ass also said you're going ton let it go. As far as I can see, that was a fucking lie. Tell me, what did you gain from beating his ass besides a warrant out for your arrest!"

" The nigga is a stalker scarlet, you followed us there, I witnessed it. If I didn't show him that messing with us is a death sentence. He could've done something."

" Do what jahseh, to everyone that saw him. Saw a innocent man who got beat for trying to walk away. You messed up jahseh, you could have handled this much better." I honestly told him

" you didn't see what I saw scarlet, he was taunting me. He came up to me yesterday when I went to go get something to eat scarlet. He waived at me, he fucking knew."  I felt the strain in his voice as talked.

I didn't respond. It was quiet on the way back home. The only thing on my mind was the police. Jahseh can't afford to go to jail. This will only add to his robbery charge he said he already had. I know something deeper is going on, I believe jahseh when he says the guy is a stalker but something is going on.

We made it home and the instant I put the car in park, jahseh got out and slammed the door. I watched as he headed into the house. In my heart, I want to go in there and talk to him but my mind says leave him be.

While in the car, I felt the anger that was protruding from him so it's best If I give him some time to calm down. Hell, I also need some time and space to think. I got out the car, went into the house, grabbed the bag of weed from under the counter and started smoking.