Chapter 3 ~ The Opposition

Alistair was sitting at a table with Arthur and Dylan in the food court. They were in the UN building, and would be stuck there for the next couple of days.

     They had arrived early to meetings for as long as Arthur was around and healthy. Cillian would sleep in for a little bit, but it was nothing compared to what Saoirse would do. She would sleep in for hours, and wouldn't wake up until after a meeting ended, and when they came home she'd have lunch or dinner ready for everyone. She, unlike the rest of them, would sit and eat in the kitchen. He had assumed at the time that she wanted to be left alone, but after he had asked about it during the troubles, she had stated that it had been around the time she was starting to feel left out, forgotten, and unwanted as part of the family.

     This had taken Alistair by shock back then, but as he thought back about it now, he could see why.

     Cillian was starting to distance himself from her, and had just converted from Christianity to Protestantism. She and Cillian had to cover their accents, to the best of their ability, because Arthur found it too hard to understand and follow in a conversation, formal or informal. Her people were being mistreated by the Ruler that they were following unwillingly, for the most part.

     The more he reflected on it, the worse he felt for her. She had been put through so much, but she was still the child-like nation that she had always been, like she never grew up a day in her life. She acted like she was always running around, throwing rocks to defend herself, like they used to do, because they weren't allowed to use actual weapons, and weren't strong enough to use magic yet.

     The door opened and Cillian walked through, looking somewhat panicked. Alistair knew that he had stuck around to talk to Saoirse, but whatever it was had clearly visually upset him. Cillian sat down, exasperated, next to him and Dylan. Arthur didn't seem to notice that he had come in.

     "Cillian what's wrong?" Dylan asked, looking at him with concern coating his forest green eyes.

     Saoirse came into the room and sat at the table next to the door, where no one tended to sit, but her. Alistair stood up, told them where he was going, and walked over to sit by her.

     She didn't seem to notice that he had approached her, because she had her familier out, a stout that stayed white, no matter what season it was. Her familiar was another reason that she stood out and was different from the rest of their family. Everyone had a creature that no one, but other magical nations, could see, but everyone could see hers, in fact her and Cillian's magic was the only kind of magic every non magic nation could see.

     They all had fairies, but that was a given, since all magic nations had one, but Saoirse's familier was an actual animal that existed. The stout is a symbol for witchcraft, which helps the nations know that she does have magic, but Cillian had a Pooka, which he had to keep away from everyone, since it was a death omen, Alistair had a Unicorn, his national animal, Dylan had a dragon, which was, also, his national animal, and Arthur had a flying mint bunny.

     Alistair sat down across from her, and Bronagh, a name Saoirse said it picked itself, scurried over to him. He pet her head with his thumb, and Bronagh started to purr in happiness. Saoirse must have been absent mindedly petting Bronagh, because when she looked back at her, she looked sad, scared even.

     When Alister looked back up to talk to Saoirse, he saw she had shifted her position a little bit. Her hand was now in the middle of running through her hair, but it seemed to be frozen in that spot. Alister stared silently at her, shell shocked seeing the tears that had started to form during the meeting fall silently down her, otherwise, emotionless, distant looking face. She didn't smile, she didn't hide anything from him, after all he was the one brother she trusted the most, but this was the most emotionally dead he'd seen her since the famine, and it scared him.

     'She must be remembering something painful... I should snap her out of it...' Alistair thought, before sighing and snapping his fingers in front of her. It wasn't a normal snap, however. When he snapped a dark blue bolt of magic, that looked like lighting and was around the size of his thumb, shot into her forehead. He made sure it wasn't enough to hurt her, because that was the last thing that he needed to happen at this moment.

     She jumped, startled, and stared at him with widened eyes. He could see that the white around her irises were red, obviously from crying.

     "Hey, sis... are ye doing okay?" He asked, his brownish-green eyes full of concern for his older, and only, sister.

     "Yeah. Don't worry about it," She said, smiling, and Alister felt his concern wash away.

      "Okay. That's good..." He said, standing up to go sit with the rest of their family again. "Just remember the promise we made after the Troubles. 'Kay?"

     Saoirse looked confused at first, before she realized what he was talking about, and she nodded once, understanding. He nodded once in return, hoping she would keep to that promise.

*~*End Chapter*~*

Hey, Agents! Thanks for reading! I know I don't normally update, but I've been gone for a LONG time. I hope you don't mind!

I'm also trying to, somewhat find, some motivation to write in my free time, instead of only doing it forcibly for school work. I'm trying to start to get on wattpad and write more, but when your mind's moved onto another website, than it does, and you can't stop that.

Anyways, thank you again for reading! <3

*~*Agent AJ signing out!*~*

Forgot to post this Saturday! Sorry!

(Word count: 1,026 words)