Chapter 4 ~ The Results

It was around four months later when they got the results. Dylan was playing with his dragon, on the floor in the livingroom, and the rest of the family was sitting on the couch watching the news. He was laughing and enjoying himself when Alister's loud, angered cry was heard, and he sat up instantly, looking at his older brother with a confused fear in his eyes.

     Alister stormed upstairs and he heard the door to his bedroom slam shut. Dylan slowly stood up, looking at his oldest and youngest brother.

     "What... happened?" He asked, his pet dragon flying up to his shoulder, hiding behind him. "Cillian?"

     Cillian was staring at the tv. Shock and horror covered his expression, as if he was trying to process what was happening. Dylan than looked over to Arthur, who was smiling in triumph. Dylan had then suddenly realised what had happened.

     The leave campaign had won.

     'Wait... I voted leave... why... why did I help them!? Why did I trust what they were saying!? What's going to happen now!?' Dylan thought, horrified that he had decided to vote leave. He knew that because of his childish decision that the Brexiteers had won.

     He could also tell by his two older brothers' reactions that they had voted to remain. Alister, he thought, because he had a close tie to many countries in Europe, and that he missed the feeling of being an independent country like he used to be about 4 centuries prior. Cillian, he believed, was for the farm subsidies, but, everyone knew, that the real reason he voted remain was because he didn't want a return to the Troubles and a hard border.

     Dylan felt terrible. He ruined his oldest siblings' lives, because his stupidity. He didn't think through his actions completely that day, and it resulted in something that could tear their family apart once again.

     "Dylan are you feeling okay? You're starting to turn green," Arthur asked looking at him confused. Cillian had also turned to him. He no longer had his mouth open in shock, but all of Cillian's conflicting emotions were showing in his eyes. His people were torn, but most voted remain because of the border with the Republic, and Dylan was well aware of that. Dylan could only imagine how torn he was when they voted. He did, after all, take the longest time, while Alister knew instantly what he was going to vote for.

     "Y-yeah... I'm... fiiiiine," Dylan said, holding the 'I' out for far too long to be called a good lie anymore. Arthur glared at him suspiciously while Cillian turned his attention back to the tele, where they were showing the results by each UK nation.

     "I- I'm going to my room..." Dylan said, sprinting up the stairs to his room.

     'What will happen to the UK? Is this the end? Why did Arthur vote leave? Why did I vote leave? Why didn't I go with the smart decision and vote to remain? Why didn't North get noticed like he should have? Why was the border never brought up in the first place? How will Saoirse react? Will she be angry? Will she be sad? Why didn't she bring up the border issue to Arthur? Is independence for me a feasible option or is it not?' He thought, the questions flooding his mind as he sat down on the edge of his bed.

      'It's because he never listened to her. He never has and never will,' A familiar voice said in his thoughts.

     Dylan stood up, ran to the door, and flung it open to see Cillian. He looked saddened, hurt, yet almost emotionless.

     "What?" Dylan asked, looking at Cillian with confused pity.

     Cillian sighed at this, closing his eyes, before looking at him again and saying, "Think of a single time that Arthur believed anything that she told him. He thinks he knows everything about what happened, which isn't the case. It's kind of like that with the border issue now. The Troubles for you laddies seem so far away, but for Saoirse and me, they still affect how our people act and, in fact, we, ourselves, act. We can't look at each other like twins anymore. We look at each other like distant family members now... It hurts her, but she's learned to cope with it... let's just hope she doesn't cope with Brexit the way she did with the Troubles..."

     Cillian had started to drift off at the end, and Dylan shivered. She had been very slowly bringing herself to death during those times. Alister had freaked out on her and said even nations could bring their own demise if they did what she did long enough. She had stared at him scared because that was one of the few times he had yelled specifically at her. After that, out of fear, she promised him that she wouldn't do it again. Thanks to Brexit, however, she may be more inclined to break that promise.

     "We can only pray she doesn't start it again," Dylan sighed looking down at his feet. He felt a little guilty for what, they learned, was her way of coping with problems that she couldn't control. She said it had given her the opportunity to choose what happened to her, even if it could've killed her in the end.

*~*End Chapter*~*

AN: Hey, Agents! Boy that got dark and depressing fast! You'll have to wait for a later chapter to find out what it is! From context clues it should be obvious, though...

Thank you for reading! <3

*~*Agent AJ signing out!*~*

(Word count: 941 words)