Chapter Twenty-One

The Battle of Sasion Valley was one of the shortest, yet most brutal battles. The Fae decided to march to the borders of the Nothern Lupine territory in an attempt to invade their lands. To this day, their motives are still unknown. The Northern Lupine lands are barren and dry. There is very little growth and the weather is harsh. It is also littered with packs of the great Kintara wolves. Only the Lupine knew how to get to their city. Those who tried were killed before they even got halfway.

It is suspected that the Fae were jealous of the power over the wolves that the Lupine had and wanted to try and take their wolves and magic. Another theory is that the Fae wanted to make slaves of the powerful beings, much like they had with the Sirens and Mer. To show the rest of the world that they are the dominant race.

The Lupine were made aware of the incoming attack on their lands and met the Fae at their borders. It is recorded that the Lupin leader, the Solavar, rode on the back of a wolf the size of a warhorse. Leading an army of Lupine beasts and their wolves. The Fae were slaughtered. Their blades could not pierce the skin of the Kintara wolves who spanned from the sizes of large dogs to warhorses. They tore the Fae to pieces, their sharp teeth piercing through the Fae armour. The Lupine were just as deadly as their wolves. Their size, speed and strength along with their brutal fighting techniques were far superior to the Fae. Very few Fae survived, leaving the valley painted dark red with the blood of the Fae. Those who did survive were those who fled before the battle began. News spread quickly of the Faes humiliating defeat. Other races stopped fearing them. The centaurs especially. The Fae's longtime enemy. So battles began to break out with the two races. The Centaurs were winning for a while. They pushed further into the Fae lands than they ever had before.

It was the humans who helped the Fae in the end. Forming an alliance which began with the slavery of the Centaurs.

-The History of the First War of Vivelle. Chapter Fifty-Four, Verse Nineteen.

I wake with a start. For a few seconds, I forget where I am. Then, my eyes adjust to the dim light of the moon streaming through the window. From my guess, it is about three am in the morning. The sky is dark and the moon high. My muscles ache slightly from yesterday, but I feel rested. I don't know how much sleep I've had but I decide I need to go. The longer I stay, the more danger I put these people in. So I quickly pack up the small bag I had carried in with me and sneak down the stairs. The little home is silent all but the soft snores coming from the rooms. I go to their table as put a few gold coins for the food and hospitality along with a little note.

Thank you, Ana.

I jump as someone sighs behind me. It is Iwan's mother, Emmaline. Her huge figure looms in a large shadow before me as she steps through the doorway.

"I thought you would be up at this hour," she says with her thick, sharp accent. I stay silent as she crosses her arms. My heart thuds in my chest, not sure what she is about to do.

"You are quite trusting for a young woman in your position," she frowns. "Most would not find it so easy to sleep in the home of a stranger whilst they are on the run." She is still sceptical of me. I don't blame her.

"I was too exhausted to even think about it," I reply, telling the truth. I've not slept properly for days. I didn't properly go to sleep at all during the three days it took to get here. Even during the trial, I was spending my nights either planning or practising for the coming tests. Sunset was at seven pm which is when I fell asleep. I am guessing I've had eight hours roughly. It was a deep sleep and more than I've had for a while.

"We easily could have killed you whilst you slept or stolen the riches you carry," she tells me. She is right. It would have been so easy for them to do anything to me. I need to be less trusting if I am to do this.