Chapter Thirty-Nine: The City

Creature: Centaurs
Grouping: Landfolk
Gender: Male and Female
Physical appearance: The Centaurs are large creatures. They have the bodies of both man and horse. Their torsi are that of human and are thick with muscle in both male and females. Their human bodies are so large, that if they were human, they would be mistaken for giants. Their horse sides are also huge and again thick with muscle. Their legs and horse stomach match the sizes of the great warhorses. Their ears are pointed and they often have plenty of thick hair both on their heads and over their bodies. It is usually unstyled and knotted in dreadlocks. Their skin tones, much like humans, can vary in shades.
Magic: The Centaurs have a unique and thorough knowledge of herbs and medicines. Living in the wildernesses of the Westland Woodlands, they have grown up learning of properties of herbs and plants. They understand how to create unique potions for almost anything. This also links with another power they have developed whilst living in the wilderness. Their understanding of the woodlands and wild living over thousands of years has made them excellent trackers. So much so that when they find their desired trail, they can actually see visions of how it was caused. It is almost impossible to shake off a centaur herd once they have begun to track you. Another magical ability they have is rare even among their own kind. The ability to move the earth. Only slightly. Most using this ability to repair any tracks in soil or make the ground shudder when they need a distraction.
Physical Abilities: Being such huge beasts, the centaurs are full of power and strength. They can run many miles without needing rest and can lift and carry great boulders. Their strength isn't to be compared to the Lupine, however. For the Centaurs struggle to use their strength in skilled combat. They have more use for carrying and transporting than fighting. That being said, the centaurs are still dangerous creatures and should not be underestimated.
Weakness: Like mentioned in the previous section, Centaurs are not good at putting their strength to good combat use.

~The Creatures of Vivelle. Written by Scholar Dominic Frey, Head of Creature and Magical studies during the reign of the Mad Queen Orianna and her successor King Niklaus

The square is silent. The hooded figures don't make a move. Shaelyn crosses her arms and glares at them all slowly.

"Are you going to let me go on my way?" she asks. There is still only silence. She looks at the figure who she assumes is the leader.

"You can attack me if you want," she shrugs. "But if you kill me, the cannon will sound. My sister knows where I am and I wouldn't be long before The Red Guard are kicking down every door in the city. Plus, you must have seen me in the Combat trial. If you attack me, you will lose some of your crew," she tells him as she spins her dagger in her hand. He sighs and crosses his arms.

"What are you doing here, princess?" he asks, his deep voice having lost all trace of mockery.

"That is none of your concern," she replies. "Just let me go. I won't mention this to my father," she sighs and does not mention the fact that she isn't even meant to be out in the city. The man snorts and shakes his head. She frowns, looking around wearily. 

"Still, you threaten us with your father," he replies. 

"Does it offend you?" she asks with a scoff as she clenches her fist. "You look down on me, don't you," she snaps with a shake of her head.

"Do you have any idea?" he begins, his voice coming out with a growl. "What it is like to suffer?" She frowns, taken aback.

"Of course," she whispers, feeling her eyes sting.

"Really?" he asks, the mocking tone returning. She closes her eyes and takes a long slow deep breath. "You come down here with your money and wealth. You make a display of showing people that you care about the children so that the people like you a little more. You play with them for a while, tricking them into thinking you're on their side. Then you leave. You return to your warm palace with fine clothes and jewellery where you can get clean water and eat the nicest foods. Whilst the children you pretend to care about are left struggling to stay warm at night and get food in their bellies." Her body begins to shake with rage as she clutches at the dagger tightly. The rest of the group all seem to be shrinking away silently. They want to watch this man tear into the princess, but at the same time, she is the princess and the King is a proud and dangerous man. "How dare you come here," he snarls as he steps forward slowly. "How dare you look down on us and how dare you give hope to those children that their life will get better when we know full well that your precious father intends to do nothing to help those in this city." He stops in front of her. She glares up at him, looking at his dark brown eyes. The only visible features she can actually see around his hood and scarf. She shakes her head.