Chapter Seventy-Six: Three Years Ago

The Battle of Seas was one of the biggest battles between humans and water folk. The humans set to sail hundreds of warships from the coastal city of Tolro. Five miles from the coast, the Water folk attacked. The sirens sang in unison. A spectacular chorus of hauntingly beautiful singing enchanted hundreds of sailors. The ear defenders that were worn, did not do much do block out the chorus of over a thousand Sirens. Whilst the Sirens enchanted and distracted, the Mer made work on the wooden ships. Transforming into their beastly, hunting appearance, the Mer ripped and tore the ships apart within the water.

There were plenty of Water folk casualties too. Ships were armed with underwater weapons that would fire spears through the water. Nets were trawled through the waves, scooping up sirens and Mer alike, ready to take them back to land and be sold.

The waves on lapping against the beaches of Tolro were red with blood that day.

Three Years Ago

I wake up with heavy eyes and my back both stinging and aching at the same time. I let out a groan and force myself up off my front.

"Illyana," Fallon says and she rushes over to me so she can help me up.

"How long have I been out?" I ask groggily, feeling disorientated. I rub my eyes before running a hand through my tangled and greasy hair.

"Just over a day," Fallon replies and hands me some water to drink. I lap it up thirstily, my throat dry and a funny taste in my mouth. A frown crosses my face.

"Was the Solavar here?" I ask, memories of what happened a blur. She nods her head.

"Yeah, the pup lead him right to you," she says and I frown.

"How did you find out?" I ask.

"Sir Jago told me father had taken you," she sighs. I close my eyes and nod my head before drinking again.

Fallon helps me stand up and I go to my mirror. She removes my bloody bandages which stick to my skin slightly. I gasp when I see my back. Deep red gashes line my skin. Overlapping the previous scars and still slightly bleeding. I feel my eyes sting as I reach a shaky hand round to touch the top of one of the lines. The scars from the punishments before have never been very visible. Father has never done it hard enough to leave as much of a mark. But that night... I gulp.

"He's never done it like that before," I tell Fallon. She looks at me and lightly touches my shoulder. "He was almost in a frenzy," I gulp.

"I'm sorry Illyana. I didn't help the situation. If I hadn't have messed around and pushed earlier in the day he wouldn't have been so worked up," she gulps and I can see her eyes go glassy with tears.

"Oh, Fallon," I say with a soft smile on my face as I go an hug her. "None of this is your fault. I give him just as much attitude as you. Plus, I was the one who got court holding the hand of our enemy," I tell her. She nods her head and I give her a kiss on the forehead.

"We had best get this wrapped," I sigh. She cleans it off again before wrapping a white cloth tightly around my back and torso. Every touch or movement that involves my back moving has me wincing and sharp tears stinging my eyes. 

"We have training this morning," Fallon tells me. I let out a defeated sigh, my shoulders slumping.

"Really?" I ask. She nods her head and together, we manage to dress me in my training uniform.

"I think he wants to show the Lupine what we can do," she sighs. "Plus, I think he wants the Solavar to see you suffer. A warning to stay away." I gulp and nod my head. "Come on, it's time to go," she sighs and takes my hand.