Ch. 5 Priceless

-Your pov

It's been almost five weeks since Tyler disappeared. Jason and I hung out a lot. I would invite him over often. He doesn't want me going to his room room to hang out with him. He had his reasons. Some involved the other guys in the dormitory, so I didn't mind. We always shared ideas aside from the projects we worked on together in class. We were the only group that didn't argue about ideas. Many friends that were partners broke up as friends. Probably because they saw what their friends were really like. Jason told me a lot about a friend named Pat. I met her once when he introduced me to her. She didn't really seem interested in getting to know me and was mostly focused on her stuffed doll. I didn't mind though. Pat is just a little girl after all.

Today was finally Saturday. I was going to see Dash and I wanted Jason to meet him. I was waiting in the main courtyard for him when I heard a familiar voice.

"Good Afternoon y/n." It said. I looked over my shoulder and saw Mr. Ewing. I was confused why he was here. He fired me when he found out that I couldn't ride anymore. He hasn't talked to me since then.

"Hey Mr. Ewing. It's been a while. What brings you here?" I asked as he stood behind me and rested his hands on my shoulders.

"Just thought I'd come say hello.      To see how you've been doing." He replied. I started to get uncomfortable when he began massaging my shoulders.

"I've also been wanting to ask you something." He added.

"Oh shit. If he says that he wants to take me out on a date, I might puke." I thought to myself.

"Ever since that accident, my reputation has sunk. All of my riders never made it as far as you. Not even close. My horses are constantly becoming lame." He explained.

"I wonder why." I said sarcastically in my head. I felt relief when he removed his hands and stood in front of me.

"Fifty thousand.                   I'll buy Dash.        He is the best chance I have to save my reputation and get to State." He said. Part of me wondered if I heard him right.

"Mr. Ewing,     he's not for sale.             His competing days are pretty much over because of that injury. I wouldn't sell him for anything.              I'm sorry." I replied. I could tell that he wasn't very pleased with my response.

"How much would it take to convince you?      What price?" He asked. I thought for a second.

"I wouldn't sell him even if you offered me a new pair of legs." I replied blankly hoping that he would not be stubborn for once.

"He is open for breeding though. A lot of people paired their horses with him and got good results." I added. He seemed tempted. I looked past Ewing for a second and saw Jason in the distance.

"I'm sorry but I need to go.    We'll talk about it sometime.                  It was good seeing you." I said as I made my way towards Jason.

-Jason pov

Y/n was making her way towards me after talking to an older man. His eyes met mine and I could instantly feel jealousy coming off him.

"Who's that man you were talking to?" I asked when she reached me. She looked back before we started making our way out of the college.

"That was my boss when I was still riding. He wants to buy Dash." She answered. I could hear a touch of anger in her voice.

"He fired me in cold blood when I told him that I couldn't compete again, and now he wants to be nice while trying to take Dash." She said as her anger started to build up. She took a deep breath and relaxed.

"I hope he will let it go and settle with my offer. If he does I'll lower the price a little." She finished as we left the campus and were making our way towards the end of town.

"What was your offer?" I asked.

"I told him that Dash is available for breeding. The person that lets me board him on their property takes care of that. I let her ride him every now and then since she isn't hard on him.     I just           wish that I could ride him again." She said sadly. We were quiet for a bit. I couldn't imagine how it feels to not be able to do the one thing that was your life.

"Shit." She said under her breath. I look down at her and realized that we were at the end of town.

"What is it?" I asked while watching her struggle to move the wheels forward.

"I always have difficulty when it comes to this hill. It takes a while, but I'll get there." She stated. I looked and saw that the two of us were starting to go up a relatively steep hill. The back of my mind was nagging at me as I watched her struggle. A minute went by and she barely went three feet up with about eleven more feet left to the top. Her arms were shaking from exhaustion, but she kept pushing herself. I couldn't stand it.

"That's enough now y/n." I said before going behind her. Y/n looked back at me with a confused look. Before she could say anything, I started pushing her up the hill. I could hear her thoughts fighting each other. Some said that she should help me push her up while the others said not to. I wanted to tell her to relax and not worry about helping me. But it would blow my cover. I almost did that when I told her that I was there when her legs were shattered from the weight of her horse. She heard my voice in her head that day. I can't push it too far. I got her over the hill and on the other side before letting go.

"Thanks." She said as we continued going. I looked at her face to see it turn a slight pink. I smiled a little at the sight of her blushing.

___

-Your pov

Jason followed me past the stables towards the open fields. Dash was the only stud there so he needed a separate pasture.

"This place is beautiful." Jason said as he took in every detail. I smiled as I watched him looking in ten different directions simultaneously. We finally reached the gate and I opened it. I closed it after Jason stepped in after me. We went a few feet away from the fence before stopping.

"Stay behind me." I said before I whistled loudly. Jason looked at me confused for a second before we heard something coming. I couldn't hold back the smile on my face as a hrs/c stallion gracefully ran towards us. He slowed down and stopped in front of me.

"Hi Dash." I said.

-Jason pov

I never seen a stallion so calm and loyal. Dash payed no attention to the mares in the other pasture.

"He's beautiful Y/N." I commented. Y/N smiled as she continued to pet Dash. She suddenly stopped and the smile on her face faded away.

"I wish I could ride him again. When the doctor said that my time in the saddle was gone,  part of me just      died." She said as Dash nudged her shoulder.

"How do they know?" I asked. Y/N smiled slightly.

"They said that one leg was bent back and snapped while both shattered.         I never questioned them." She replied. I looked at Dash. I wanted to try something. My only hope is that it works. I walked around and picked up Y/N.

"Jason,      w-what are you doing?" She asked obviously nervous and confused. I smiled as I carried her towards Dash's side.

"They said that your time in the saddle is gone,   but they said nothing about riding bareback." I stated before putting Y/N on Dash's back. Dash didn't move. He simply looked back at her as if he was waiting for her commands. I could tell that Y/N was unsure.

"Y/N.  " I said before Y/N looked at me. I could see the doubt in her eyes. I could hear the voices of her doctors telling her that she couldn't ride or compete again. 

"Jason-" She said before I interrupted her.

"Dash wants you to ride him. I can see it in his eyes. Can't you see it?" I said. Y/N took a deep breath and held his H/C mane before turning him and telling him to walk. Her face changed from worried to happy in a split second as she made Dash trot away. Dash was going faster as y/n's smile grew.  She made him jump over a few fallen trees. It felt good to see her ride again. To see her do what she loved.