Ch. 6 Make it Up

-Your pov

"Please just a few more seconds!" I shouted as I raced across my living room towards my phone. I managed to grab it just in time before it goes to message.

"Hello?" I said slightly loud. Before I could expect anything, my whole family was singing to me. I completely forgot in these past  seven weeks that it would be my birthday. More importantly, my twenty-first birthday.

"Oh you guys remembered." As I said as I failed to hold my smile back.

"Of course we would remember. Did you remember?" My dad asked. I blushed in slight embarrassment.

"I forgot about it." I replied. It was quiet for a second.

"That's fine Y/N. You've been working very hard. Your partner has been a major help. Your grades have been the best compared to last years." My mom said.

"What are you planning on doing for celebrating?" My older brother asked. I was quiet. I never thought about it. I could hang out with friends, but Jason was the only friend I had. Sadly, Jason hasn't been hanging out as much with me ever since he met Pat.

"I was thinking that I would go out to eat." I replied shortly. My family was silent for a second.

"Ok then. Be careful. Be aware of your surroundings." My mom said.

"If anyone makes you uncomfortable, give me a call and I'll be there in a flash with my gun." My dad added while laughing even though I knew he was serious. But I appreciated that he will always have my back.

"I'll have my phone on me just in case." I said. I could feel their relief.

"Alright. Well, have fun. We love you." My mom said.

"I love you all too. Bye." I said before they said goodbye and we hung up. I looked at my contacts and looked at Jason's number. I thought about calling him, but assumed that he was too busy with Pat. I sighed in disappointment. I missed hanging out with him. Our only chance to talk was during the classes we had together. I looked at Stella and smiled before grabbing my keys and looking at the clock. Dinner rush was now over.

"I'll be back later." I told her before putting my phone and keys in my purse and putting it on my shoulder before leaving.

___

The F/R was quiet with few people. I decided to have a small mixed drink with my dinner to celebrate. It was very lonely though. I really wish that I had someone to drink with.

"Oh hello Y/N." a voice said. I looked up from my glass and saw Ewing. I sighed in my head. He made another offer on Dash two weeks ago. He is the next to last person I would want to see tonight.

"Oh hello Ewing. What are you doing tonight?" I asked even though I wasn't interested. I only asked just to be nice.

"Just mourning. Stella died yesterday." He replied. Now I was interested whiled shocked and sad at the same time. Ewing was going to breed her with Dash.

"Oh what happened?" I asked before taking a drink.

"I had to put her down. She broke a leg. It was about as bad as Dash's injury. It's sad because I was going to put her with Dash." He answered. I was quiet for a second. Dash's injury healed just fine. Stella should have been ok. I could only think of two reasons.

"I also wanted to ask you    " He said before pausing for a second.

"Oh boy. Here it comes." I said in my head.

"Since Stella is no longer here, I am still interested in buying Dash. I'll pay whatever price" He said. I sighed as I harshly set my glass down. I can't do this anymore.

"I don't care how much you offer. He is not for sale. Get that through your thick head." I said with a slight pissed off tone. The atmosphere between the two of us grew tense within seconds.

"I need him Y/N. I will do whatever it takes to get him. Even if I need to go to court." He said as he got closer and grabbed my shoulders tightly.

"Are you threatening me Ewing?" I said as I hit his arms making him let me go.

"If I could stand up, I would so that I can look you straight in the eyes and tell you to get out of my face and leave. Don't ever ask me if you could buy Dash ever again. Now fuck off." I finished.

"Your starting a war that you won't win no matter how much you think you can. I'll leave you alone for now, but it isn't over." Ewing said before leaving. My breath suddenly grew shaky. I've never stood up to him like that before. It kind of felt good. But I was also scared. I took a deep breath and placed my arms on the table before resting my head. I really needed Jason right now.

"Y/N?" His voice said. I thought it was in my head, but I looked up anyway. I was happy when I saw his face in front of me even though my depressed face didn't show it.

"Are you ok?" He asked.

-Jason pov

Y/N nodded her head but then stopped before shaking it. She pushed a chair out inviting me to sit down. 

"What's wrong?" I said as I sat down.

"Today is my twenty-first birthday. And the first person that sees me was Ewing. One of his horses died and I think he did it on purpose to try and convince me to sell Dash for the third time. We got in a heated conversation and then he made a threat before I had him leave." She explained. I was shocked. My anger was growing a little from her words.

"I thought he would have let it go when you told him no the second time." I said after a waiter set down a glass of water in front of me.

"I really hoped he would." She replied before she became really quiet for a bit.

"I don't want to sound mad, or jealous of Pat, but I miss you Jason. I miss hanging out with you outside of classes." She said. When she said those words, I immediately felt like I hurt her. I most likely did. I felt bad for doing so. I paid for my glass of water while Y/N paid for her meal and we stepped outside into the cool autumn night.

"Y/N listen." I said as we reached the door to the apartments. She looked up at me with an almost blank expression.

"I'll tell you what. I'll make it up to you. Meet me outside of the apartments at twelve tomorrow night. We'll celebrate your birthday together. " I said before she smiled. We talked a little more before we said goodnight and I made my way back to my dorm. I knew Pat might be shocked because of my disappearance tomorrow night, but I needed to hang out with Y/N. She was a good friend and I don't want to lose her friendship. I'll make sure that tomorrow night will be the night of her life.