Chapter 1. Goodbyes

A/N: Warning Mature Content, Graphic Scenes, Trigger warning. This entire book is in Aria's Point of view. 

***

"You fucking bitch!" I shrieked and lunged at Amara. I have had it with the endless harassment and embarrassment! My fist balled up and collided with Amara's nose. The exhilaration that I felt when her nose crunched beneath my fist was indescribable.

Blood gushed from Amara's nose. She cried out and collapsed to the linoleum floor.

People gathered around us to see what was happening.

I hovered above Amara and pulled her hair with one hand as my fist struck her right eye.

Amara reached up and pulled my hair.

Pain shot through my scalp, and I hissed in pain. My hand swung forward. The blow across Amara's face made her head snap to the side.

The crowd chanted my name.

Hands grabbed my arms to restrain me. The person pulled me to my feet.

"Let go of me," I demanded. I struggled against the person that restrained me. I'm so not done with her! My gaze fell on the person that had ahold of me.

"Aria, that is enough!" Mr. Hemmsworth scolded me. He was my science teacher–a middle-aged man. "We are going to the office now." He removed his hands from my arms and looked around at the crowd of kids. "Get back to class," he warned.

The students descended but continued to whisper and laugh.

I followed after Hemmsworth.

The large office was warm with blue carpet and white walls. I sat down in one of the many waiting chairs that lined the wall.

The two office receptionists looked at me, confused and surprised.

I scowled in their direction and looked away. I had no reason to be upset with them, but I was angry at everyone. How could nobody notice or not care about all the suffering I endured?

The clock on the wall ticked slowly. Time hated me. Whenever I awaited misery, time passed slower and louder.

Mr. Hemmsworth leaned over the counter. "I need to speak with Principal Hawkins."

The younger receptionist of the two motioned for him to proceed. "He's not busy," she said.

The office was not a place that I was used to being. I didn't even know the name of the women who were at the front desk.

The older woman had been here for years. She was at least in her sixties. Her hair was snow white. Her eyes were a bright green color. She was thin, and her skin was wrinkled. Her skin was tight against the bones of her arms and fingers. I imagined her younger with red hair.

The other receptionist was young and hadn't been here for long. She appeared to be in her late twenties or early thirties. Her blond hair was wrapped up in a tight bun, and she had on glasses. Part of me wondered if she needed them or if she thought they made her look more sophisticated. Her eyes were dark blue. She was stunning–I imagined at one time she was a cheerleader.

It was easier to focus on my surroundings if I wasn't thinking about why I was here. Maybe they will ship me off to boarding school–I thought hopefully. I was sure to be in real trouble. The principal here didn't like me–though I couldn't imagine why I was always a behaved student. Well, until now. Maybe, he foresaw something coming that I didn't. Perhaps, he knew one day that I would snap. I tossed the likeliness of my theory around in my head.