Chapter 16. Who Are They?

"Hold still," Bailey said. Bailey zipped up my dress.

"I'm happy you came. I could never have gotten my hair like this." I pointed at my head.

Bailey laughed. "I always loved doing hair. I'm starting college next year to be a beautician. I had to save up some money first. My parents wouldn't help me with college because they didn't support the beautician stuff."

"That's bullshit. Maybe I can help you with some money," I said.

"Nah, don't worry about it. I'm good now. I saved up and enrolled," Bailey said.

My fingernails were painted red. My hair was in an elegant updo. My dress was long and red. There was a slit up my left thigh, and the zipper only went halfway up my back. It was a spaghetti strap V-neck.

"Hopefully, Ace doesn't freak out," I muttered. I turned to face Bailey.

"Why would he?" Bailey raised her eyebrows.

"I wore a dress once that was less revealing than this one, and he told me to change." I chuckled at the memory.

"Why?"

"He said it was too revealing and that he didn't like it when other men looked at me."

Bailey's eyes trailed me head to toe. She pursed her lips and nodded. "People are definitely going to be looking. Ace is going to have to get used to the fact that his girlfriend is gorgeous." Bailey smiled.

There was a knock on my bedroom door. "Come in," I called.

Mom walked into the bedroom with Tina and Kimmy.

"Awe, you look amazing! How did you get your hair like that?" Mom asked.

"Bailey did it." I gestured to Bailey. "Bailey, this is my mom. Mom, this is my friend Bailey."

"Nice to meet you," Mom said.

"Same to you," Bailey said politely.

"Everyone is waiting for you to get downstairs. Are you finished?" Mom asked.

"Yes," I said.

"You look beautiful, Aria," Tina said.

"Thanks, Tina." I kissed Tina's cheek.

"Ace is going to wig out," Kimmy said and giggled.

We started down the stairs.

Ace stood near the bottom of the stairs beside my father. Ace, Dad, and the other boys stood in a circle talking. They were all dressed in formal clothes.

Ace's lips were moving, but I couldn't make out what he was saying over the crowd of people. There was music coming from the ballroom. The doors were wide open, and it was crowded.

Ace looked up at us. He looked back at my dad for a brief second, then his head snapped back up, and his gaze locked with mine. Ace's mouth dropped into an O shape, and his eyes widened.

Bailey snickered.

I swallowed hard. He is going to tell me to change out of this dress, I know it.

Ace fixed his expression. He walked to the edge of the steps and held his hand out for me.

My legs shook slightly. I quickly placed my hand in his to balance myself as I took the last few steps.