Chapter 2. Almost Like Family

Luis and Kimberly came into the living room. Luis and Kimberly glanced at me.

Luis had black hair and was much taller. Luis towered over his sister. He wore a muscle shirt. Tattoos covered his arms. Luis was intimidating.

Luis and Kimmy shared a knowing look.

"Hi, Aria," Luis said and walked toward the kitchen.

Kimmy smiled widely at me. She wore a short skirt and a belly shirt. It was something I would never have gotten away with wearing. My parents said that women should remain modest.

I could see my parents' point. However, this was a different generation, and I hated feeling like I didn't fit in. My parents dressed me in clothes that belonged in the fifties.

Kimmy had waist-length black hair like mine. She was a bit shorter than I was and a bit curvier.

"Hey, Aria!" Kimmy said excitedly.

I stood up and approached her. "Hi, Kimmy. It's good to see you," I said and smiled.

Kimmy took in my outfit and raised her eyebrows. "What the hell are you wearing?"

"Kimberly," Tina said sharply.

"No, it's okay. I don't like my clothes either," I muttered. I rolled my eyes and continued. "My parents pick out my clothes. They won't let me wear what I want."

Tina snorted. "Seriously?"

"Yeah, all of my clothes are like this," I said and sighed.

Kimberly wrapped her arms around me and hugged me tightly. "I'm happy you're here. We have missed you."

"Same here," I said.

"Mom?" Kimmy turned to face Tina.

"Yes?" Tina asked as she stood.

"Can I take Aria shopping?" Kimmy asked.

"What? No, it's fine," I said. "I'll get a job or something to buy some new clothes."

Tina grabbed her wallet from her purse. "It's no problem, sweetie. You shouldn't have to pay for your clothes. You're still a child. Don't feel bad; your grandparents used to make your mother and I dress the same way."

Kimmy rolled her eyes. "I'm glad I never have to deal with them." Kimmy knew of our grandparents but didn't really know them.

Lucky for her–I thought to myself.

Tina handed her a debit card.

Woah, really? I knew Tina made good money. She had gone to college. She was a chief financial officer for some big company. Tina worked in the city in a tall building on the highest floor. I was there once when I was thirteen.

"Get whatever she needs or wants," Tina said to Kimmy. Tina pecked my cheek. "Have fun, girls."

"Are you leaving?" Kimmy asked.

"I got a text that I needed to come to work. I'm not sure how long I will be gone. You girls can get take-out," Tina said.

"Okay," Kimmy said. "See you later, Mom." Kimmy grabbed my hand and pulled me toward the kitchen.