Chapter 5. Did You Just Moan?

My lungs burned as I gasped for air. I threw the front door open, slammed it shut, and locked it. My face rested against the cool glass. The glass felt good on my sweaty forehead, but it did nothing for the panic I felt. Blood pumped so hard through my veins it caused a rapid thumping in my ears. The dizziness made it hard to concentrate.

"Aria?"

The deep voice made me jump, and I spun around.

Ace had come up behind me. He knitted his eyebrows together when he took in my state. "What's wrong?" he demanded.

"I-I'm fine," I stammered. I ran my fingers through my hair to smooth it out. My chest rose and fell heavily. I started for the stairs.

Ace might have let me pass if I hadn't stumbled and nearly fell. He caught my arm and forced me to look at him. "What happened?" he asked. He supported half of my weight. Ace leaned away from me and looked in the direction of the kitchen. "Luis!"

"It's nothing," I lied. "I just thought someone was following me."

"You're a shitty liar," he murmured.

"Okay, fine. I know somebody was following me," I explained. Oxygen started to flow back to my brain and the lightheadedness faded. "It was a couple of guys. I saw them at the restaurant earlier, and they made some comments toward me. My boss overheard the comments and threatened to call the cops if they didn't leave," I explained.

"What kind of comments?" Ace asked.

"Flirtatious and inappropriate," I said and shrugged.

Ace stiffened, and his teeth clenched. "Are you hurt?" he asked. His gaze trailed me head to toe.

"No," I said.

Luis walked into the living room. "What's going on?" Luis asked.

Kimmy came down the stairs. She paused when she saw Ace and me near the bottom of the stairs. "Is everything okay?" Kimmy asked.

"Aria, I think you should go clean up," Ace said. The way he said it, it sounded more like an order. Ace used his voice in such a way that I didn't imagine many people disobeyed him.

"I'm fine," I told Kimmy as I walked past her up the steps. I gave her arm a reassuring squeeze.

As I reached my bedroom door, I heard Ace talking to Luis, but I couldn't make out what they were saying. Ace would most likely tell Luis what happened.

The hot water relaxed my muscles but did nothing to clear my head of what had happened. Steam rolled out of the shower when I slid the shower curtain back. I grabbed the towel, dried off, and wrapped the towel around me.

Ace was on the edge of my bed, leaned forward with his head in his hands.

I cleared my throat.

Ace looked up at me, and his eyes widened when he saw that I was in a towel. His eyes seemed to trace every part of me. His gaze flickered back to mine.

"What are you doing in here?" I asked.

"We went out to look for the guys that were bothering you, but we couldn't find anyone." Ace rose to his feet. "From now on, someone will pick you up from work."

"I don't need a babysitter," I muttered.

"And your aunt doesn't need a dead niece," Ace snapped. "Don't be so damn stubborn."