Chapter 11. Trailing The Stars

Ace gripped my hips and flipped me, so I laid beneath him. He reached for his gun and knelt between my legs.

It wasn't something that happened in slow motion. It happened so fast that it caused me to gasp, and my scream got stuck in my throat.

Ace raised the gun and fired a shot. The man in my doorway fell, and a different man barreled into the room. Ace fired the weapon, and the second man dropped.

As soon as the second man dropped, the third man came into view. He fired his gun, and the lamp flew off my bedside table.

Ace pulled the trigger, and the third man fell on top of the second.

The fourth guy wasn't aiming his gun at Ace. The man had his gun pointed at my head.

"Ace!" I shrieked. My heart dropped into my stomach.

Ace threw his body over the top of mine protectively.

A round was fired, but I felt nothing. I opened my eyes to see if I was still alive.

Ace knelt above me again with his gun pointed at the man who shot at me. He fired the weapon, and the fourth man fell to the floor.

Another scream began to build in my throat, but I threw my hand over my mouth. I stared at the dead bodies in horror.

Ace lowered his gun and looked down at me. His chest rose and fell heavily. He looked me over as if to make sure I was unharmed.

My hand fell from my mouth, and I pointed to the blood that dripped down Ace's arm. "Ace, you're bleeding. You need to go to the hospital."

"No, bebita. It's a flesh wound. I can take care of it on my own. Are you okay?" His gaze swept over me a second time.

"I'm okay," I murmured.

Ace jumped off the bed and moved the bodies around as if he was searching for something.

I slipped into a pair of jeans and a t-shirt. "Who are they?" I asked. I can't believe I almost died half-naked.

Ace turned to look at me. "Mexican Mafia. They got a bounty over your head now. This is what Carlos was concerned about. They know the worst way they could hurt Carlos or me is by killing you." Ace gritted his teeth and ran his hands through his hair with the gun still in his hand.

"This is why you wouldn't leave me alone," I murmured. "I don't think I'm going to complain about being babysat anymore."

"This is why you need to be trained like we talked about the other night. Even if you don't take over the Latin Kings, it would be best if you knew how to keep yourself safe. I know you think you can take care of yourself, but–"

"Yeah, I get that. It's good you were here, or I would have been dead."

"Are you sure you are okay?" he asked.

"You're the one who is shot, not me. I'm fine. Maybe you should let me clean that, at least." I ran my finger beneath the wound.

Ace stepped away and shook his head. "I just killed four guys in front of you. You can't tell me that doesn't freak you out a little."

"Impressed, maybe, but not freaked out." I took a deep breath and stared at the bodies on the floor. There is something wrong with me.

"I'm going to call the boys to come to help clean this shit up," Ace said. "Tina is going to be pissed off about her carpet."

***