2. A Name. Jackson Storm

Crystal's POV

My vision was beginning to blur from constantly staring at the computer screen as I tried to make sense of what was there. As I tried to find some clue as who Thomas Gavin was. Marrek had yet to call me back with news of any kind-good or bad-and I was getting restless. Wanting-needing to be doing something that felt like I was making progress.

The ringing of my phone cut through my thoughts and I practically lunged across my bed to get to it. Disappointment flashed through me as I realized it was not Marrek calling me back. Anger and annoyance soon replaced it as I stared at the familiar number. Annoyance because I didn't want to deal with him right now. Anger because right now that number was a reminder of my failure and Thomas Gavin's victory.

I debated letting the call go unanswered. He'd call back for sure, but not any time soon. Not if he believed I was in a position where I couldn't safely take his call. Ultimately though, I knew I would only be putting off the inevitable.

I answered the phone and put it up to my ear. "Carver," I said into the phone as way of greeting.

"There's been a lot of news coverage about you and your father," He said and my annoyance with him only escalated.

"Riveting subject," I replied dryly. "Do continue. I hadn't had the slightest idea that we'd been in the news. I mean it's not as if there are reporters camped out outside the gates of our house or anything."

"Tone down the sarcasm," He said. "I wasn't trying to poke fun at you. I was actually going to ask if you wanted me to deal with the media."

"Cut the crap," I said harshly. "You don't actually give a damn about the media shining a spotlight on us unless it interferes with your precious investigation."

"You can believe that all you want but I'm not your enemy, Miss Carver."

"What was the point of this call?"

He was silent for a moment. "I wanted to make sure everything was going alright and you'd still be able to make the exchange."

"Everything is fine," Lie. "This scandal changes nothing."

"The reporters camped out outside your estate say otherwise. You going to be able to get away unseen?"

"I always have, haven't I?" I asked. "There are more ways out of here than just walking out the front door. Don't bother dealing with the reporters. If my father gets wind that they back off he'll be suspicious and he'll start digging."

"Yes," He paused. "I look forward to our meeting Miss Carver, until then don't take any unnecessary chances. I'm going to be out of town for a little while, but if you need me call me. And let me know if you need me to do anything about the scandal."

"I've got it under control." I hung up. I so did not have it under control.

He did not need to be made aware of that, however.

I groaned and flopped back on my bed, my hands over my face. At the moment, I could not think about how this situation could possibly get any worse. Unfortunately, with my luck, I knew it was bound to get much worse.

Screw you, Thomas Gavin. May you rot from the inside out and be ground into dust.

I got up from my bed and walked out of my room, going downstairs to the kitchen to get a cup of coffee. I sat at the kitchen counter for a while, gathering my thoughts and trying to figure out what I could possibly do next. When I came up empty I took the pot of coffee and went back up to my room.

I didn't know how long I was seated on my bed, computer opened in front of me and coffee cup nestled in my hands when Julie pushed open the door to my room and then stopped in her tracks.