10. More Complications

Crystal's POV

I had barely taken a step back into the ballroom before Jackson's arm was around my waist and pulling me through people to a secluded corner.

"What the hell were you thinking?" He asked.

I looked down at my nails. "I need to touch up my nail polish," I muttered.

Jackson pushed me back until I hit the wall. I glared at him and shoved him back from me.

"You put your hands on me again," I growled. "and you won't have any."

Jackson rolled his eyes. "I'm petrified with fear," He said sarcastically.

"What the hell is your problem?"

He narrowed his eyes at me. "I asked you a question first."

I continued to glare at him. "What exactly were the chances of no one recognizing me?" I asked him. "It was only a matter of time before someone put a name to my face and then what?" I crossed my arms over my chest. "I figured I'd just go along with it before it caused problems."

Jackson stares at me incredulously. "So when an enemy of your father comes over to kill you-and, more importantly, me just because of association-what exactly are you going to do then?"

I pushed away from the wall and started walking back into the crowd. Jackson wasted no time in following me.

"No one is going to kill me in an attempt to get back at my father," I told him.

"How do you know this?"

"Because no one-excluding you-is far enough out of their mind to actually think they can take on my father."

Jackson shot me a flat look.

"Half these people here are his allies," I waved my hand around to gesture to the people, keeping my voice low as we walked through the throngs of people. "and the other half are too fearful of him to incur his wrath."

Jackson shook his head. "You're gambling with your own life and more importantly mine."

I rolled my eyes. "You said that already. Now, I believe I asked you a question," I told him. "What the hell is your problem?"

He groaned. "At the moment, you."

I glared at him as he once again led me toward the dance floor. He glared back as he adjusted my hands on his shoulders and placed his on my hips.

I gazed at him thoughtfully, thinking that it would take nothing for me to move my hands from his shoulders right over to his neck and tighten until his face started turning purple.

Jackson suddenly smiled. "You would be unsuccessful," He stated and I narrowed my eyes at him, thinking it was damn creepy how he could tell exactly what I had been thinking.

"Have you made any progress in getting my necklace back?" I asked him, changing the subject.

He shrugged lazily and continued to move us both to the music. If he hadn't shrugged, I would have thought he hadn't heard me. Unfortunately, I realized he was simply ignoring me.

"Storm," I growled.

He smiled smugly and I wanted so badly to make good on my thoughts and wring his neck.

I narrowed my eyes at him again and not so subtly, stomped on his foot.

He clenched his jaw and his fiery gaze snapped to mine. "You're a wonderful dancer," He said sarcastically.

"What do you want from me Storm?"

That stupid smile spread over his face once again.

"Forget it," I snapped. "Don't answer that."