14. Let the Hunt Begin

Crystal's POV

I didn't get any sleep that night.

That wasn't surprising. Between the rain pelting down on the roof and deck of the yacht, and Jackson's blackmail threat . . . my mind was anything but peaceful.

I was already up when Noah woke up, stared at me for a long while as I sat in the lounge, and then finally shrugged and set up his computer. He didn't say a word and I noticed he also hadn't even bothered getting dressed for the day. He was still in the clothes he'd slept in, a worn-out Hulk t-shirt and pair of pajama bottoms with some other comic book character plastered all over them.

I had stared. He'd ignored me.

So, I had gone back to looking through the SD card on my own computer. Making sure that everything was still there and it all was . . . mostly. There was a string of calls, texts, and emails that I had saved that were no longer there. John Doe's handiwork no doubt.

I had just finished going through the last of the files when Jackson decided to grace us with his presence.

"Good Morning," He said. His voice entirely too cheery and entirely too awake for someone who hadn't even had any coffee yet.

I glared at him as he walked by me.

He raised his eyebrows at me. "I see you're still out for my blood."

"Have you given me a reason not to be?" I snapped.

Jackson just shrugged, unfazed and took the seat next to me, his arm across the back of the couch, practically resting on my shoulders.

I purposely leaned forward, away from him and shot him a glare.

He blew out a sigh. "You need to lighten up," He said.

Noah froze. I tensed and then turned my full attention to Jackson.

"I need to lighten up?" I growled. "You're blackmailing me with the threat of my life-"

"I just threatened to tell your father something," Jackson interrupted. "Don't be so dramatic."

Noah was trying really hard to keep his focus on his computer screen and pretend he wasn't listening. Actually, I was pretty sure he was pretending-and wishing-he wasn't in the room with us.

I continued to glare menacingly at Jackson before I reached behind my back, under my jacket, and grabbed hold of the gun tucked in my waistband. I slammed it down on the coffee table in front of us with a loud bang. "How's this for dramatic?" I asked as I leaned in toward him. "Back. The. Hell. Off."

There was a spark that lit up in Jackson's eyes and a reckless smile split across his face. Whatever he really wanted to say or do, he didn't. He just calmly put his hands up in mock surrender and then moved over some on the couch. He never lost the spark in his eyes, or the smile though.

"Want me to hit him for you?"

Noah let out a surprised shout and then fell out of his chair when the new voice spoke up. Jackson jumped to his feet and whirled around to face the owner of the voice while I didn't bother turning around to face her and sent her a wave over my shoulder. I also picked up the gun and slipped it back into my waistband, out of sight.

"Not yet," I told Julie.

"Too bad," She replied as she moved from the doorway into the room. "I feel like hitting someone."

She tossed the duffle bag that was slung over her shoulder at Jackson. He caught it out of instinct. "Take that to my room," She said before taking a seat next to me and putting her feet up on the coffee table.