17. Uninvited Guest

Kind of getting back in the swing of things. So far so good.

Shout out to myreadingaddictions for the awesome cover!

Crystal's POV

It took a couple of days of Jackson hiding in his hole on the yacht, planning something before we docked again at another location. I wasn't quite sure where we docked this time, and I didn't think I wanted to know. Not really. It was another very nice port, high rises all around the waterfront, and a hundred or so more yachts all docked. I could, however, tell that we were no longer in America because the signs all around the port were in a language I didn't recognize.

I looked over at Jackson as he and Noah were both staring at the computer screen in front of them, whispering to each other. I studied them cautiously as if waiting for them to strike. Julie leaned casually back against the wall next to me, eating an apple.

"You know what they're talking about?" She asked me, her eyes never leaving them.

I shook my head. "They're looking for this Martin person, but as far as I've gathered, he seems to be pretty hard to find. They haven't been having much luck."

Julie looked at me briefly before looking out the window. "If you want to get out of here, I've got your back." She locked eyes with me. "And I don't mean go sightseeing."

I looked out the window, tempted to run. Tempted to take my chances. I thought about what it would be like. Likely it would be no different than the life I had already planned on living after my father was sent to prison. I knew his influence, his orders, his followers, wouldn't stop while he was locked away. I knew he'd likely put a bounty on my head. And I knew he'd still be able to pay it despite being in jail.

I thought it over and looked at Jackson out of the corner of my eyes before shaking my head. "If we ran, we'd not only incur my father's wrath, but also his." I jerked my head in Jackson's direction. "I only feel like being hunted by one bad guy at a time."

Julie shrugged. "Suit yourself." She went back to staring out the window. "But what are the chances your father would actually believe a word Jackson told him?"

I shrugged. "I'm not willing to find out," I replied. "Not until I'm able to turn over the evidence to the FBI. My father might believe Storm, he might not, but then he'd probably keep his eyes on me even without realizing it. After I turn over the evidence," I shrugged again. "I don't care what happens."

I could feel Julie's eyes on me. "You don't care what happens?" She repeated. The tone of her voice got me looking back at her. She was angry. "And what if, say, your father kills you?"

I turned away, a deep sadness filling me. I didn't want to think about that. I wanted to believe that my father would never hurt me . . . but I couldn't. Not anymore. A few years ago, I would have said that he wouldn't hurt a fly, but now? I had seen firsthand what he'd done to people that betrayed him. Deep down I wanted to believe he wouldn't hurt me, but that wasn't the case.

I let out a long sigh. "He's my father, Julie," I said softly. "That may not mean much to you, but he's still the man who raised me." I turned away from her gaze and looked back and Jackson and Noah, completely oblivious and huddled together in conversation.

Yes. I thought. He was still my father. Still the man who tucked me in every night for years. Still the man who drove me to school every morning when I was too young to do so. The man who would throw me the best birthday parties, show up to every modeling or school event I'd ever had, even when I told him he didn't have to. Still the man who loved me more than he'd ever been able to say. Still the man I loved too.