11. Mystery Man

Crystal's POV

Jackson stared at me blankly for a long time. "Well," He finally said. "I helped you get the necklace back . . . and now this is so clearly, your problem." He spun on his heel and started to walk away.

"Are you kidding me?" I growled. "This is entirely your fault!"

Jackson turned back to me with a shrug. "That can't be proven," He said. "How do we know that you didn't just misplace the damn thing before I took the necklace?"

I ground my teeth together and clenched my fists as I glared back at him. "I didn't."

"But you can't be sure."

"Yes, I can!" I threw my hands up in the air. "This is all your fault!"

"I still don't see how."

I continued to glare at him. "Give me one good reason not to hit you," I said to him as I kneeled down next to the woman.

"What are you doing?" Jackson asked me.

"I need her awake," I said. "I need to ask her what she did with the SD card."

"I can guarantee she had no idea it was in there."

I looked up at him. "How?"

He stared down at me and scoffed. "Because I didn't know it was in there," He told me. "and as far as anyone is aware, the rumors about someone gathering evidence against your father are just that, rumors. No one has any idea that there's an SD card let alone that you of all people have it. Everyone believes you to be completely oblivious."

I groaned and pulled at my hair. "Well someone clearly did because it's not here."

Jackson shrugged again. "There were security cameras in the hallway."

"So?"

"So, if we break into the monitor room we should be able to see who has been coming and going from this room."

"Brilliant idea," I said sarcastically. "And what happens when we find out that the SD card was removed before this infuriating gala?"

Jackson waved me off. "Minor problem."

I took a step toward him but was interrupted in my quest to blacken his eye when the door was thrown open and two men in suits came striding into the room, guns drawn.

I turned to glare at Jackson. "I'm going to kill you."

Jackson rolled his eyes. "I suppose that means you're now blaming me for this as well."

"This is your fault!"

"Quiet!" One of the men shouted. "Hands where we can see them. Now."

"Please just shoot him," I muttered as I half-heartedly raised my hands, the necklace still clenched in my fist.

Jackson glared at me before flashing the men a smile and, surprise, surprise, didn't raise his hands.

"Gentlemen, please," Jackson said as he went and shoved his hands in his pockets. Idiot. "There's no need for the guns."

I rolled my eyes. "Not everything can be solved by talking yourself out of it," I told him.

"Well do you have a better idea?" He snapped.

"Both of you shut up," The first man ordered. I complied since I didn't want to get shot. Jackson clearly wanted to get shot, because he didn't comply.

"This is all just a big misunderstanding."

"What part of shut up do you not understand?" The second man asked.