29. Questions Unanswered

Crystal's POV

I rolled over in bed and opened my eyes to look at the sunlight streaming into the room through the window. I hadn't even bothered to close the curtains the night before.

I took a deep breath as I continued to stare out the window at the blue skies and deep blue water just outside. My mind began to wander to last night, to my conversation with Jackson just before the drugs had knocked him out. I wanted to ask him about it and yet . . . somehow it seemed like I had intruded and heard something that I was not meant to hear.

I let out a sigh and rolled over once more. I was not yet ready to get out of bed and face the world. Not yet ready to face Jackson. Of course, the world tends not to care about your feelings, a point made abundantly clear when I rolled over and nearly let out a startled scream for the second morning in a row.

A hand was clapped over my mouth before I could let out my shout of surprise. "My head is killing me. Please refrain from screaming," Jackson whispered, not even bothering to open his eyes.

He was lying on his stomach, his face turned toward me on his pillow, still in his clothes from last night. His eyes were closed, his hair falling in his face and messy from sleep, and he still looked like a model. It was irritating as hell.

"Stop thinking," Jackson suddenly said. "You're making my headache worse."

I shot him a flat look as I lied on my side facing him. "You can't read minds."

His forehead scrunched up in pain. "Shh . . ." He whispered. "talk quieter or not at all."

I studied him with narrowed eyes.

"What?" He questioned.

"I didn't say anything."

"But you want to."

"I left you on the couch," I stated.

"I know."

"And you were drugged out of your mind."

"Don't remind me."

"How did you even make it to the bed?"

"I don't actually remember."

"Lovely."

"Isn't it?"

I glared at him before rolling over once more and pushing myself into a seated position. I continued to stare down at him.

"Out with it," He muttered. Still not opening his eyes.

"Do you . . ." I trailed off. I shook my head "Never mind," I muttered as I pushed off the bed and got to my feet.

He opened one eye and watched me with a frown. "What?" He questioned.

I shook my head again, thinking over his words from last night.

My biggest mistake.

"Nothing," I said. "Forget it." It's not like I was going to get an actual answer out of him anyway, so why bother?

"It's clearly not nothing, as you say."

"And how could you possibly know that?" I questioned. "And do not say mind reader," I added as I turned to face him.

His mouth closed for a second and he studied me with narrowed eyes. "It does not take a mind reader to tell something's bothering you."

"Oh, you mean other than the fact that I once again woke up to you in my bed?" I grumbled. "Also, since when do you give a damn? It's not like my feelings affect you getting what you want, right?"