vii/ Let's make it ten

After work, I decide it's best I crashed at Paris' Place, at her dismay. She kept reminding me over and over that I had overreacted, and that maybe he was gay, but also liked girls.

But it was already too late, he had a boyfriend. That did not shut her up.

She's shameless, really.

So here we are again, sitting in front of her television on the couch, watching me before you and licking ice-cream with her cousin, Eleanor.

"Okay, I'll say it again only because it bugs me so," Paris interrupts with a sigh, "you overreacted."

"Paris I'm no-"

"Yes you are Champagne!" she shuts me up, "you're such a coward and I'm pained."

"You're so mean." I pout, dipping the spoon in and out of the chocolate flavored ice-cream.

She sighs, "maybe being mean is the only way to get the message across, you come crying to me every single time over a bowl of ice-cream whenever you mess up Champagne, you need to be brave."

"You're still so mean." I squeak, still pouting and toying with my ice-cream.

"So let me get this straight," Eleanor butts in, "you haven't dated in forever, then three dates after resuming, you're quitting?" I'm not looking at either of them but I can hear the disappointment in Eleanor's words.

"Well, technically, it's only been two official dates. The third's just my next door neighbor who I happen to like very much." I murmur, feeling ashamed of myself, "happened to have liked, very much." I clear my throat.

"And let me tell you Elle, the first date was fucking Dean Hudson of fucking platinum oils that Curtis decided to hide from me." Paris complains again, making flashbacks haunt my memories.

I already put it behind me thank you very much.

"WHAT?!" Eleanor's outburst startles me that I sink lower into the chair, "you let Dean Hudson slip out of your fingers?"

It's so obvious that these two are blood related, they are both so loud and crazy. And they refuse to understand me, I'm the heart broken one, yet, I'm the one they blame.

"Mm-hm, and that's not all," Paris continues, apparently enjoying spilling out my skeletons to much for my liking, although Eleanor is also like family and she's discreet, "I looked into Ajmal, the guy she's ignoring now over a petty issue of him being a so-called homo-"

"He has a boyfriend."

"Shut up Champagne," she deadpan, "Ajmal is the second son of, um, forgotten his name, so complicated," she shakes her head, "anyway, his dad owns a multi-billion dollar shipping company and I literally died, I died!"

She grasps my shoulder tightly once again, making me wince under the pressure, "this bitch here, is the devil! She is not a human being, I'm telling you!" she shrieks.

It isn't until the awful cry is over that I realise that Eleanor had also screamed -sigh, sisters -. I uncover my ears and scoop my ice-cream but it's suddenly taken away from me by Paris.

Like I said, mean!

"Hey, that's mi-"

She turns me around quickly so I'm facing her, her hands on my shoulders, no gripping this time, relief, "you have to try the apology cupcakes thing again."

There are certain things I've prioritised during a relationship or in search of one; looks that could kill, pockets deeper than the ocean, either one or two of them. I believe that's what kept me as idle as I've been till date.

And Paris needs to stop judging me because I couldn't get to kiss a devilishly handsome guy with deep pockets and world wide fame. It's really annoying.

It's like, she ignores every other reason because her brain is clouded by material things.

I shoot her daggers in form of a glare, "no." I say firmly, "not everything is about money, or wealth, or fame." I bite my bottom lip, hesitant to include the last words. But I must, "or looks!" I blurt out.

Paris gasps and Eleanor turns me around to face her, her hands on my shoulders.

"Fuck Jamal then, eight more dates." Her brown eyes looking me dead in the eyes, oblivious to the fact that she mispronounced Ajmal.

"What?"

"You've been on two dates already right?" I nod, "so, eight more won't bite. Making it ten dates, count me in."

"But," Paris tries protesting, but Eleanor and I shout in unison.

"SHUT UP PARIS!"

I blink, my mouth forming a gap in between. I'm considering it, moving on also means never giving up right?

"Let's do this?" she beckons.

Okay, fuck yeah.

I nod, "let's do this."

The next morning after breakfast, I left for Home to change into work clothes. Can't go to work in the same clothes as the previous day, doesn't seem right. And Paris is slimmer than I am, her clothes won't fit.

I also pack a few clothes because I would be staying over at Paris' place for a few days, mainly to avoid Ajmal of course. Don't want to be put in an awkward situation when he finally catches up to me.

How would I explain why I suddenly ran away?

Sitting in front of my computer, inside my cubicle, I answered a customer's call, "let's talk love hotline, what's your emergency?" faking the smile again so it reflects on my voice.

I am cringing as always, really, the cringing never gets old. And there's no getting used to this job for me.

Everyone seems pretty comfortable with it to me, but who knows? I might as well seem comfortable with it to them.

"I found you, my love."

Oh no, I know that voice. That's Harry Jenkins' voice.

"I forgot that teeny weeny detail about me, your future husband slash father of your children, being a hacker." then he cackles and I go pale in fright.

•••

Omg, I never planned on including Harry as a stalker but my brain was like, "hey, let's make Harry a stalker, whether you like it or not.". Can't argue with that.

I hope you enjoyed this cringe worthy chapter. Dunno, I cringe whenever I read my work. But I hope y'all enjoyed it. I love y'all!