xv/ A woman like you

"Eleventh too late." Paris dreamily breathes, waving her hands in the air.

"What are you talking about right now?" I ask her, taking a sip from my black coffee. After what happened last week with Ajmal, I'd given up on blind dates or anything that's arranged.

She's all teeth now, grinning like an idiot, "the name of your story, I mean, you would have gotten Aj–" I shoot her a death glare, "your neighbor, I mean, if you hadn't avoided him."

I shrug, "okay?"

"So, when you finally got to your senses and decided to try out the eleventh date, it was too late." she shrugs back before biting into her bagel.

I roll my eyes at her, she isn't wrong and I have, infact, gotten over it. "You think my kids and grandkids would think I'm an idiot?"

She looks at me amusedly, seeing as I am merely joking with my question, but she answers anyway, "I mean, that's quite an understatement when you really think about it."

I reach over and give her arm a light tap, "Ow," she hisses, "but you were also very brave, to be honest, contrary to what you used to be. And I'm glad at least something good came out of all ten dates." she smiles at me and I can't help the blush that creeps into my cheeks, "although," she drawls, "I still can't get over your loss of Dean Hud-"

"Nope, we're not going there." I wave my finger in the air.

"Whatever," she rolls her eyes and takes a sip of her cappuccino, "I've been listening to that Ariana's song yeah? And I believe all your dates taught you something."

"Tell me."

"Okay," she starts, shifting in her seat so she's comfortable, "Dean obviously wasn't impressed by your lack of confidence, Harry-"

"Shawn." I correct her.

"Shawn," she drawls, "made you realise how short life is, made you a risk taker, and a fighter obviously," I chuckle, "Carter taught you how to say no, you know, show 'em!" we both laugh at that.

"Andre taught you to stand up for yourself," I nod, "Rishab made you a quick thinker, the Christan Grey dude made you intolerant for bullshit." she shakes her head and laugh a bit at the memory, "the scammer dude, taught you to stay alert."

"Tony and Cara taught you anger management, she was pregnant." she shrugs, "and gay guy, made you a sassy pants who walks away after giving a piece of her mind, yes! My girl!" she high fives me and I roll my eyes at her, that's the kind of stuff Paris loves.

"And the last dude? Don't worry you can say his name aloud this one time."

"Okay," she sings, "Ajmal taught you to never waste an opportunity, and to open up whenever something's bugging you. He also taught you to put a bitch ass in his place, that one, I'm very proud of." we both nod at each other knowingly with smiles on our faces.

"Confident, Risk taker, no is no, stands up for herself, quick thinker, intolerant for bull, careful, anger management, sassy, open minded and putting a bitch in his place is all what makes a powerful woman," she smiles genuinely, "a woman like you." she exhales dreamily.

"Oh my God, did you just quote little mix right now?" I laugh.

"What? It makes sense, girl, shut up." she pouts.

But I don't, I keep laughing, "you're not smart enough to come up with your own words because Logan has fucked you forever senseless." then I bring out my tongue.

She reaches over to hit my head, but I spill my coffee in the process of trying to defend myself.

"Fuck!" a deep voice resonated in my ears and we both look up at whoever possesses it.

I swallow when I see a dirty blonde, tall police man, with black shades and a coffee stained trouser, making me wince and mentally prepare for my doom behind bars.

He slowly removes his dark shades and I can swear a bright light shines around him because his blue eyes are just as electric as Paris thought Ajmal's would be.

I am not prepared for another sexy man. Oh my....wow.

"I know you," he says, taking me aback, "you're the girl Shawn McCarthy stalked right?" he grins, his white teeth sparkles and his dimples are so deep that I want to get lost inside them.

Did I say wow? Wow.

"Um, yeah." that's when I really look at him and recognise him as the officer who shot Shawn and saved my life. So, my hero? This is too much.

He extends his hand, "Shane Williams."

I take his hand and quickly stand up, catching him by surprise with a hug that I am not regretting at all, "Champagne Gaétan. Thank you for saving my life."

When I release him from the embrace, he's a slight shade of pink and I am very sure I look the same. He exhales a little and gives me a curt nod.

"See you around yeah?" he says, sounding more hopeful than not.

"Yeah!" I exhale breathily, looking at Paris who has a smug smile on her face and shrugs.

Shane turns away then turns right back to me almost immediately, "are you doing anything Friday night?" he points at me.

I smile knowingly, "uh, no, why?"

"There's this thing my colleagues are setting up to celebrate the locking up of  a tough criminal and if you wouldn't mind, I'd like for you to come with me."

"So," I drawl, "a date?"

"If you don't mind," he grins again, making me wowed, "can I get your number?"

I blink, "sure," looking through my bag, I bring out my business card and hand it over to him, "here's my card."

And that's the card that shows who I am and where I work. Giving it to him did not make me fret, did not make me insecure and definitely did not make me feel bad about who I really am. If he wants to take me, he has to take me as I am.

He looks through it and smiles genuinely, if he feels indifferent about it he didn't show, and I am grateful for that, "thanks, see you soon Champagne," he winks at me and finally walks away.

I exhale dreamily before taking my seat and glancing at Paris who only keeps smirking at me, "my girl."

FIN

•••

Omg, it's over! It's finished! It's ended! I finished this story!

THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR MAKING IT THIS FAR, THE END. I AM PROUD OF YOU ALL FOR EMBARKING ON THIS JOURNEY WITH MOI, YOU ARE AMAZING!

This story part is dedicated to YOU, for all your love and support, and for reading this story till the end. You rock, you shine, you're amazing, you're MY READERS indeed. I love y'all.

Thank u, next

12:00AM Deeper

Conversations by the pool with a mysterious (attractive) stranger that takes a 360 spin into deeper confessions by midnight.

SHORT STORY
TEEN FICTION
ROMANCE

Copyright © 2018, Anita Michael.

{Story is in my profile, you might as well follow me for updates. Thank you again. DABEST!}

11th too late ✔On viuen les histories. Descobreix ara