Chapter 1

"Janis." My mother said in front of me as she held one of my suitcases. "I want you to work as hard as you can."

"Of course, mom." I smiled at her and she brushed my cheek.

"And keep your head in your work. Don't go messing with any boys, now." My mother insisted.

"Of course not, mother." I reassured her.

"Alright. Let's go inside." She nodded. I turned around and looked up at the vertical row house in front of me. It was a pastel blue color, bright and lively with color.

"They say these have been around for ages." I told my mother as I placed my key in the lock for the first time. "I can't believe I'm living here."

Inside was dark wood molding and a classical green on the walls. A tasteful carpet sat on the floor and to the left was an open entryway to the living room.

Inside sat at a girl with a flipped bob hairstyle, her hair curled outwards in a perky way. I stared at her perfectly styled hair and touched my long hair that was pulled back in a low bun.

"Welcome!" She smiled as she stood up. She slowly walked over to us, the way she walked was intimidating. She looked me up and down, then forced another smile.

"I'm Susan." She welcomed me. She seemed like the personification of prim and proper. Her nails were cut short and covered in baby pink nail polish to match her tweed Chanel suit.

On her lips was a frosty pink lipstick, and the perfect amount of blush was covering her cheeks. Were those false eyelashes, or did those belong to her? Her eyes were an alarming shade of blue, and the thin line of brown eyeliner she had framing them made them pop.

"Welcome to the house!" Susan cheered. "You must be Janis!"

For someone who seemed fake, she surely knew how to string together words to make it seem like she wants you around.

"You know, I knew you were going to show up and I've been anticipating all day! Let me show you around!" Susan smiled warmly.

She walked out of the living room and into the foyer. A few feet from the door were mahogany wooden steps with a thick and ornate railing against the left wall. Next to the staircase was a tiny hallway into another room.

"That's the kitchen." She pointed over to the open area next to the steps. "It's so fancy we have a cook and everything."

She began walking up the steps and my mother and I followed behind. She stopped midway on the staircase, and so did my mother and I. She looked directly at my mother and rose her eyebrow.

"I'm sorry, are you her mother?" She asked her. My mom looked her up and down, she was a little too fresh for someone talking to an elder.

"Yes. Is that an issue?" My mother asked. Susan gave the phoniest sympathetic pout.

"You know, I'd love to show you around, but sadly I'm going to have to ask you to leave." Susan said in a theatrical voice. My mother frowned and looked to me, and I looked back at her. She hugged me tightly and kissed my cheek.

"I'll see you." She reassured me. Then she stepped down the steps and exited the house. I still stood on the steps with Susan, and I looked up at her.

She stood above me, and she looked down at me with purpose. "How old are you exactly?"

"I just turned 20," I informed her and she smiled down at me.

"Such a baby." Susan laughed. She never disclosed her age to me. "Alright follow me."

She was able to scurry up the steps while still looking coordinated and put together. Then, we were in a large space with a couch against one wall and another couch against the adjacent wall. There was peachy wallpaper with a ribboned design.

"This is the common area," Susan told me. "All of our bedrooms can pretty much be accessed here." Susan smiled. I walked with her across the room and she stood in front of a dark brown door. "This will be your room."

"Where do those steps lead to?" I asked looking at brown steps that faced right next to my bedroom. When I looked back at Susan she was scowling. She quickly fixed her face once she realized I was looking.

"That wouldn't be a concern of yours." She told me. "Now. See your room!"

She opened the door and I was revealed to a light blue room. The duvet on the bed matched the walls, and the framing of the furniture was white. A beautiful white vanity sat on the wall opposite of my bed, and an ornate white side table sat next to my bed. A black file cabinet sat in the corner next to my vanity and across from my bed and side table.

"We've placed that file cabinet over there in your room since you'll definitely need it. They'll have you up to here with papers." Susan explained.

"What is your role at the office? Are you an intern?" I asked and Susan smiled.

"You can say that, but my position is much more convoluted than the average lady or guy in the office." She smiled.

I nodded and placed my suitcases on the floor. She began closing the door behind me, but then poked her head back in.

"Oh, and I just want you to know... we are very accepting of having a negro on our team." She nodded, and I squinted at her. Something about those pearls around her neck and that smirk on her face didn't make me feel right. "I hope that your differences won't be a problem."

"Why would it be a problem?" I asked with a risen brow.

"Well have you seen the news? Negros these days have been antsy." She laughed. "I just wanted to make it known that any tomfoolery won't be accepted here. Understand?"

"Yes, Susan. It's crystal clear." I said quietly.

"You can call me Sanderson. That's my forename." She smiled then wiggled her fingers at me. I watched as a gold charm bracelet on her wrist dangled. "Catch you later."