Chapter 7

The office was a buzz as Jackie Kennedy returned to the White House. She was in Europe trying to obtain antique American furniture that ended up in museums or in the hands of collectors.

Once she returned, she walked past each of us as we lined up in front of her. Susan walked beside the First Lady as she observed us.

"I'm in search for a loyal intern who will be discreet, organized and competent while helping me with this restoration." She said as she looked at each of us.

She looked at each and every person, observing how they reacted to her. Suddenly, she stopped on me.

"You." She smiled. "I want you."

"Mrs. Kennedy, she's new." Susan announced while holding a clipboard on her arm. Jackie looked at Susan.

"I feel that she's fit for the role." She told Susan, then turned to me. "What's your name?"

"I don't know if I could possibly..." I attempted to make excuses.

"I insist. Tell me your name." She smiled at me. I cleared my throat.

"Janis. Janis Decker." I answered and the First Lady nodded.

"Well Janis..." She began, then turned to the side. Her assistant placed a pager in her hand.

What are these things?

She handed me the black rectangle— it was identical to the one The President gave me.

"This is a pager. Whenever I need you, it'll light up and beep. I might do it if I'm calling you and you're not at the phone, or if I need you to come over." She explained. "Do you understand?"

I cleared my throat. I had two pagers, one for the First Lady to refurnish the White House, and the other for her husband to refurnish my insides. I barely understood how I got into this situation.

"Do you want this position?" Jackie asked with risen eyebrows.

"Of course, thank you— it's an honor." I forced out. "In other words... yes. I understand." 

"Good. I'll be seeing more of you, Janis." Jackie smiled. "I'll get the extension to your office phone and other contact information. If you have any other ways to contact you,  please let me know."

Yes, your husband's pager.

I carefully placed the pager in my purse on top of the one The President gave me. I tried to keep reminding myself the one Jackie gave me was on top, the one The President gave me was on the bottom.

Once I got home, I sat on my bed and took out Jackie's first. I held it in my hand, and stared at it.

"Jackie." I nodded. Then I placed it on my bed. I reached my hand in my purse to take out the second pager—

"Knock, knock."

I looked up and Susan was walking in my room.

"Usually when people say knock, knock, they accompany it with knocking." I mumbled to her.

"Well, I'm practically the leader of this house so I don't need to knock. Besides, we have nothing to hide... right?" Susan asked sitting next to me. I closed my purse and placed it behind me.

I sat there staring at her, wondering why she was in my room to begin with. She gave me the creepiest smile, and there was even more forced friendliness in her mean attitude.

"I just came in to congratulate you on your new position. I think we got off on the wrong foot and I wanted you to know... I'm here for you." Susan smiled strangely.