Chapter 2

I spent a few hours in my room, overwhelmed and crying. I was far away from my home in New York, and I didn't know anyone here. From Susan's introduction, I felt very unwelcome.

I looked at my watch and realized that it was time to head to the White House. I walked out of my room into the congressional area and there stood Susan and a girl with brown hair.

She had it her hair short and curled from pin curls. They chatted together, and Susan didn't even look my way as I stood there.

"Um... do we...?" I began, and they both stopped in their tracks and looked to me. "Hi."

"Hello." The other girl said.

"Isn't it time we leave?" I asked them. "What's our mode of transportation?"

"Well, there's a bus that runs around this time that should take you." Susan rose her brows. The other girl gave her a look.

"The girls usually carpool together. Our friend Debra has a vehicle." The girl with the brown hair informed me. "I'm Nancy, by the way."

"Janis." I smiled as I shook her hand. I looked around the room and back to her. "It's really nice here, isn't it?"

"It's amazing." Nancy smiled warmly at me.

"Okay, Nancy, I'll be downstairs waiting for Debbie." Susan said coldly, purposely not making eye contact with me. Nancy sensed what was going on, and watched Susan as she exited down the steps.

"Sorry about her." She whispered. "She's an interesting broad."

"Very interesting." I laughed as Nancy and I began walking together. "Where are you from?"

"The Midwest." She told me as we both walked down the steps. "And you?"

"New York, it's very different here. Much smaller." I told her and Nancy nodded.

"I came from a small town so this is amazing to me. Must be cool being from the Big Apple." She smiled at me.

"It's good, I guess." I shrugged. We both stepped outside onto the stoop of the house, and Susan stood out on the sidewalk. She pulled out a sheer scarf from her white purse and wrapped it around her head.

"Susan, you act as if Debbie has a convertible." Nancy furrowed her eyebrows.

"It took way too long to bump my hair this high, I'm protecting it all I can." Susan nodded as she tied a knot under her chin.

Finally, the car pulled up and a girl with black hair and dark sunglasses to match popped her head toward us. "Hey! Sorry I'm late there was so much traffic— who is this?"

"This is Janis." Susan said in her fake sweet voice. "The girl we have been expecting."

"She's really a gas, it'll be great having her around." Nancy nodded and Debbie smiled at me.

"Good to meet you, Janis." She smiled nicely. I reached for the shotgun seat and Susan pushed past me, taking it herself.

Nancy and I looked at each other, then we both made our way into the car. We cruised along the hills of Washington D.C. and finally made it to the White House gate.

A guide led us through to show us where everything was, and finally, we were shown to our office. I sat at the neatly put together desk in front of me. A paper folder with an image of the White House sat on my desk.

"And who are you?" Asked a young guy around my age. His hair was perfectly combed back and styled, and his cufflinks were worth more than my salary. "I haven't seen you around."

"I'm Janis." I introduced myself looking up at him. He was attractive, sandy blonde hair and blue eyes. However, I was there to do a job, not to chat and mack.

"You're an intern too?" He asked with risen brows. "I haven't seen a girl like you around here."

"I can tell." I squinted at him, then scanned the room. No one looked like me there, I knew I needed to keep myself together and make a good impression.

He got himself comfortable and say on the front of my desk, turning himself to look at me.

"Excuse me." I spat at him, but he didn't budge.

"I'm just trying to get to know you..." He began then squinted at the name tag sitting on the desk next to him. He lifted it. "Ms. Decker."

I placed my chin in the palm of my hand, annoyed by this guy's trying to talk to me.

"Am I right? You are a Miss right?" He asked with a risen brow. "I don't see a ring."

"That is my business." I mumbled.

"Dick." Susan growled at the guy at my desk. "You need to come over, the President will be here in a few minutes."

He looked back at me and rolled his eyes, then hopped off my desk. Buttoning his blazer, he straightened himself out and walked off to where people lined up near the entrance.

Susan looked me up and down. "What are you staring at? You were too busy flirting and distracting Richard Warren to realize the intensity of the situation!"

"He spoke to me..." I squinted at her.

"I don't care if it was him speaking to you or Jesus speaking to you. The President Of The United States is about to come in. Get lined up!" She scolded. I stood up and gave her one good look. Then joined the others in the line.

The doors opened and Susan took the first spot on the line. She smiled widely as John F. Kennedy himself walked in.

He took the whole room just with a simple look. He smiled as we applauded his arrival, and he lifted his hand for silence.

He stood in front of Susan, who lifted her chin up high with a grin. Then gave her a nod and went to the next person. He shook hands with that person, then the person after that, and the person after that.

I chuckled as I looked at her defeated face. Her button nose tried to stay high and mighty, but by the way, she shuffled her feet awkwardly and her red cheeks I could tell she was hurt. That's what she gets for thinking she's better than everyone.

My eyes scanned the room as I looked at old desks and decor of the place. And I frowned, it really was run down for such an important building.