Chapter 21 - Adidas and Carlo

A couple of days after I arrived back in Madrid, I got a call from Ancelotti.

"Katalina," he spoke way too formally for my liking. "Simon and I are waiting for you at my office. We're expecting you within the next hour, it's urgent."

"I'll be on my way," I half question, not knowing what it's all about.

I walk to the offices and make my way to Carlo's office. I greet Simon and him both, but only receive stern greetings in return.

"Take a seat," Carlo gestures.

"What is this concerning?" I ask them both.

"Katalina," Simon starts, surprising me.

"Kat," I correct him.

"Katalina," he repeats again. "I've worked with you for years now, you were one of my most trusted employees-"

"Were?" I interrupt him.

"Alright, Katalina," Carlo begins.

"We received word of your business trip to Barcelona."

Simon stays quiet and I just stare back at them both.

"My trip to Barcelona, yes. I didn't keep it a secret, what about it?" I ask.

"You had a meeting with Luis Enrique," Simon says.

"That I did," I stiffen up a bit.

I honestly didn't think there was anything wrong with my meeting with Luis, but I'm not sure how they would look at it.

"What was that meeting about?" Simon asks.

"Does it matter?" I ask in my normal tone but receive a bite back from Carlo.

"It does if you're working for me."

"What was the meeting about?" Simon repeats himself.

"He wanted to know what it was like working for you guys," I begin to fidget. "That's all. He also-"

"Did you tell him anything about the team?" Ancelotti interrupts. "About the players, the training, anything?"

"What about the marketing?" Simon adds.

"No. No to it all. Of course not, I would never," I answer them all.

"He didn't ask?" Simon inquires.

"He did, he tried, but I shrugged it all off. I know I'm not supposed to say anything anyway, it's in my contract," I explain.

"You should know better than to meet with rival teams," Carlo says sternly.

"You're taking this all out of proportion. Does it really matter that much?" I ask in awe of their hoarseness.

"That's all you two spoke about?" Simon asks. "Nothing about Adidas either?"

"Nothing about Adidas, Simon," I answer then look down a bit. "He offered me a job."

"Did you take it?" Carlo jumps.

"No, of course not," I say in my defense.

"Well you should've. Sleeping with the enemy. You're not supposed to do anything of those sorts," he begins to yell.

"What did you mean 'were'?" I ignore Carlo and look over at Simon.

"He's right you're not supposed to be in contact with people higher up on Barcelona. Or on any other club for that matter," he speaks.

"Answer my question, Simon," I tell him.

"Look, Kat, you did something you shouldn't have-"

"Oh, so now it's Kat?" I interrupt him and stand up. "Is that how low you both think of me?"