Chapter 23 - Leaving

I step out of the shower and put some clothes on.

When I start to dry my hair with my towel I hear the doorbell.

I buzz the guys up after I make sure it's them and I open the door for them when I hear them knock.

Toni, Keylor, and Marcelo. I became super close with these three guys and James but I haven't seen or spoken to him in two weeks.

Toni walks in first with boxes under his arm, Marcelo with tape, markers and scissors, and then Keylor with food. All I can do is smile and Keylor gives me a big hug before finally walking in.

Toni and I head over to my room and he helps me pack my clothes. I send Marcelo over to help with the kitchen while Keylor does the living room.

All the major pieces of furniture are gonna be taken by a company to where ever it is I decide to live in next, but it sure as hell won't be in Madrid.

"You know first hand, Germany is beautiful," Toni says as he puts together another box.

"That I do," I smile as I fold some t-shirts. "I don't think I'd be able to live there without drooling as I walk down the streets."

Toni lets out a chuckle and I hear a scream come from the kitchen.

"There was a spider," Marcelo says as he keeps his hand on his chest. "I don't know where it went."

An hour later we take a break and we're all sat on the floor eating some really greasy burgers from two blocks down.

"I was thinking Amsterdam," I say.

"You don't speak Dutch," Toni points.

"Costa Rica," Keylor says.

"You might as well go to Brazil," Marcelo mocks him.

"I'm actually gonna take a quick vacation to Dubai," I finally tell them.

They all go 'ooh' and just nod in agreement, the support I need at the moment.

"What are you gonna miss about Spain?" Marcelo asks.

"Well," I say. "What if I end up staying in Spain?"

"Barcelona," Keylor smiles. "I knew it! I mean, I knew you'd never sell information. You got a job offer didn't you?"

Toni and Marcelo look at me and I chew on the french fry I just put in my mouth. I just nod. The three of them begin to cheer in excitement and happiness.

"Calm down," I instruct them. "I don't think it's on the table anymore."

"They can't just take it off the table," Keylor speaks.

"It was cause I was working for Real. I don't think they'd care for me anymore."

"Of course they would. Any team would be lucky to have you," Marcelo says as he rubs my arm.

"I'll call and ask, but I don't think I ever wanna work for another football club ever again," I admit.

"Don't lie," Toni says. "Barcelona is your favorite."

I don't tell them about the sort of job offer I got from Cosmo. I already packed, it doesn't seem like I'm going to be staying in Madrid.

I tell them all more about the offer and they suggest I call and ask Luis. I told them I had Neymar to thank and the only one with a smirk on his face is Marcelo. Not one of his friends doesn't know how he feels about me.

"Oh, I definitely cried," I tell Marcelo when he asks about my saying goodbye to Iker. "I cried with half the team, okay."

The last thing all the guys are helping with is my bedding and all my books.

Even though I only spent 5 months here, I kind of got attached to the tiny apartment. The only clothes left aside were the ones I was set to put in my luggage for my flight to Dubai the next morning. Keylor passes me the last article of clothing and I zip up the luggage.

It's past ten at night by the time the guys leave. I rest for a while and set up a time and date for the moving guys to come on by whilst I'm in Dubai and Toni promises to be here by then.

The clock strikes twelve and I cannot sleep. I tear up when I finally take in the fact that this is my last night in Madrid, unless of course I decide to come visit. I beat myself up a bit about the meeting with Luis and how I lost my job that easily but I decide it all happened for a reason and I grab a coat and head out the door.

I walk down the block and down the next and down about ten more after that. I can't sleep and I know I'm gonna miss this city like hell, so I take it upon myself to say one last goodbye to Madrid. Just then my phone buzzes and Neymar's face next to mine pops up on the screen.

"Hey," I answer.

"Hello, beautiful," he answers back. "How are you? Did I wake you?"

"Not at all, and I'm good," I say wiping some tears off my face.

"Marcelo told me you're leaving tomorrow," he says. "Why didn't you tell me?"

"I guess it slipped my mind," I gasp a bit as I spot the air that comes out my mouth in the cold air in front of me.

"Don't cry," he states.

He can hear me cry through the phone, fantastic.

"It's hard not to," I say as I begin to walk back home.

"Talk to me, Kat," he starts. "I'm here for you, everything's going to work out for the best anyway."

"You're so sweet to me, Neymar," I say wiping more tears off my cheeks. "I don't deserve you."

"You deserve the world."

I bite my lip at that sentence. The loving I've yearned for my whole life.

"Are you going to call me when I arrive in Dubai?" I ask.

"Always," he says. "You have a home here in Barcelona with me, please consider that before going back home to New York."

"Oh, don't worry about New York. I don't think I can show my face there for a while."

"You quit, remember?"

"I quit to not get fired, I lost that job the moment Luis Enrique called me," I admit.

"But you gained a better one, didn't you?" Neymar asks.

"I don't think the offer still stands," I say as I almost arrive home.

"Oh, I'm sure it does. Give Luis a call tomorrow after your flight."

"I'll think about it," I speak.

"Do you want me to go to Dubai with you?" Neymar asks.

I let out a laugh and keep walking down the block.

"I'm serious, I'd drop it all. Let's go to Dubai, you and me," I can hear him smile.

"I'd rather go to Paris with you," I admit.

"The city of love," Neymar jokes and I can imagine the face he's making this instance.

"The city of love," I repeat as I reach the door to my building and take in the air at night in Madrid one last time.

"I'll have your heart someday, Kat," Neymar says in a raspy tone. "Just like you have mine."

I smile dumbly as I open the door to my apartment. My heart flutters a little as he says that; he's getting to me, he really is.

"I'm sure you will," I tell him. "Sweet dreams, love."

"Sweet dreams, love."