Chapter 49 - Barcelona to Madrid

I bite my lip as I look at Davi then Neymar.

"This is it," Neymar says.

I let out a deep breath and take Davi from Neymar. I leave a kiss on his cheek and forehead and say my goodbyes. He leaves a kiss on my cheek and says goodbye back. Although he doesn't know what's going on, my heart still breaks a bit.

I look up at Neymar. I've been dreading this.

"Kat," he starts. "Call me when you get back home."

I smile at his goodbye.

"Thank you for absolutely everything," I say as I grab his hand.

"Thank you for everything too," he says. "It's been a great year."

"I'm sorry it all ended like this-"

"Everything happens for a reason," he interrupts me.

I give him a tight hug and he does so back, tears swelling up in my eyes.

"Bye, Neymar," I say. "I Iove you."

"I love you," he smiles, and I can tell he means it, before leaving a kiss on my lips.

I take my suitcase and turn to head into the gate. I turn back one more time and offer the two of them a smile as I wave. Davi and Neymar both wave at me and I let the tears roll down my cheeks as I turn back. My time here has come to an end. Time to move on to the next chapter. Just one quick stop to Madrid first.

I hand the guy at the stand my ticket and he lets me through. When he hands me back the paper I wipe my cheeks and eyes and walk quickly to security. Some time later, the plane is finally ready at the gate and I line up along with the rest of the passengers to get on the plane. An hour and a half later and I'm back in Madrid.

I grab a cab and make it to the Cosmopolitan offices. It's a pain I had to bring my suitcase with me, but I wasn't staying anywhere and I didn't want to burden anyone. I got some stares from some people but I couldn't care less at this point. I step out the elevator and walk up to the receptionist and ask to see Rona. She's hesitant at first but then she calls for someone to take me there. I thank them both and step into her huge white office.

"Rona," I smile.

"Just in time, Kat," she hangs up her phone. "Let's get to it."

Three hours worth of paper work. It's four o'clock by the time I turn to face the wall clock in her office. We managed to get everything done for an acceptance here in the Madrid offices in order to make for a transfer for the office back home in New York.

"You technically have a job here," Rona looks up at me. "Come back whenever."

"You got it," I smile.

I give her one last hug before thanking her again and making my way to Keylor's place.

"Kat!" his wife cheers before letting me into their home.

I greet her and Keylor after leaving my stuff by the door, making a note to them this had to be short. I eat an early dinner with them after Keylor insists and I say my goodbyes. I make it quick because I have a list of people to visit and I know I'll see Keylor again.

Next person on the list is Marcelo. When I arrive to his place, he already knows what this is all about and brings me into a hug immediately. I spend about an hour with him before heading out after a bittersweet goodbye.

I quickly stop by Iker's place and make sure to make it quick. Half an hour later I'm out the door holding back some more tears and walking straight to Toni's place.

I only do all this because I know I won't be coming back to Spain for a long time.

"Kat," a surprised Toni swings his door open.

"I'm here to say goodbye," I let out a sigh.

Toni cocks his head to the left and tells me to come in. An hour later and I'm out his door again after the tightest hug of the night. It's almost eight when I make my way out of the building. I stay stood on the block as I look up at my old apartment building. I cross the street and walk the two blocks needed to get to my destination. I have about three hours before I need to be at the airport. My last stop is the evident one.

I stand in the hall. Hesitant to knock on his door. It's been two months since I've last seen or spoken to him, but with everything that's happened and how it's all gone up in flames, I need to see him. I need speak to him about this mess. I need to say goodbye.

I bring my hand up one more time and force myself to knock. I do so three times before I hear footsteps coming my way.

James opens up the door and looks at me astonished.

"Kat," he barely speaks. "What are you doing here?"

"Good to see you too," I smile.

He moves aside to let me in and I leave my stuff by the door.

"Home alone?" I ask, inquiring about Salomé.

"Always," he says as he shuts the door.

"How've you been?" I speak first. "With Daniela and everything."

"I've been really good, surprisingly," James answers. "What happened to you? It's been months, I've been trying to apologize-"

"Things got a bit hectic," I say as James inches towards me. "Uh, can I get a glass of water?"

"Yeah," James says. "Of course."

I sit down on his couch and take a deep breath, thinking about what to say next.

"I guess you've seen the gossip-"

"Yeah," I interrupt him as I take the glass out of his hand. "Thanks."

"I didn't think you or Neymar were going to get involved in anyway because of the stupid thing I did at that match-"

"Yeah, that wasn't like you," I say, putting the glass down. "So why'd you do it?"

"Why did I attack him from behind in a game of football?" he almost mocks me.

"Did I stutter?"

"To get the ball," James says as he sits up.

"Not because you were angry at him?" I ask, sitting up too, not letting him intimidate me.

"What's that supposed to mean?"

"Do you like me, James?"

"Yeah..." He nods.

"Romantically?" I add.

"Where's this going?" he chuckles.

"Answer me," I order him. "Is that why you attacked Neymar? Because I loved him and not you?"

"You're just too far gone," James says as he stands up.

I follow him with my eyes and stay silent for a moment.