Chapter 22 - Last Assignment

I arrive at my last photo shoot, that some of the team members are at, a bit late.

Why should I give a damn after how they treated me? Not all of them, just some. I thank the heavens as I remember James won't be here and I head over to Iker who's getting his make up done.

"Hey, love," I tell him and he opens his eyes and smiles at me.

"Kat," he smiles back. "Took you long enough."

I chat with him for a bit before I pat him on the shoulder and stand by the photographer who's taking ten photos of Marcelo per second. He smiles widely as he spots me and the photographer encourages that smile on him.

A minute later, the photographer says he's done with Marcelo and calls up Ronaldo.

Marcelo gives me a kiss on the cheek and I hug right after.

"How are you doing?" he asks knowing it's my last day.

"I'm holding up," I flash a fake smile at him and he leaves me standing there once someone calls out for him. I wave at Cristiano and I get a nod from him then I head over to a table nearby.

I sit next to Toni and place my head on his shoulder.

"I was never completely professional with any of you was I?" I ask.

"Nope. Never. Not for a second," he lets out a chuckle.

"Good," I respond as I look up at him. "Now I know I'll be you guys' favorite."

Toni is called over to get into uniform and to get a look at the cleats and soccer ball they're all promoting and I head over to the people by the computers. I monitor what they're doing and tell them what to touch up here and there. I look to my left and spot the girl next to me touching up James' photos. He left before I got here.

She touches up his leg a bit and I tell her to not touch the photo at all, leave it as it is because it's perfectly fine.

Ronaldo finishes up and comes my way. I sit back at the table with him and we talk a bit.

"They were going to fire you?" He asks.

I simply nod and he gets why I quit.

"That's ridiculous," he snorts.

I look up at him and realize he doesn't really mean it but I give him a wary smile for trying.

Pepe is up in front of the camera and Modrić sits down with us two. Later on I end up helping get Sami into uniform and give him some tips from what I saw that the ladies on the other side of the room were touching up.

I call for lunch and ask for them to deliver it at the offices we're all at. Once the food arrives I go down stairs to get them to come up and I serve all the guys. I barely touch my food and excuse myself and make my way downstairs.

I call Noori up and ask for a place to stay.

I'm out of a job already and I booked my flight to Dubai. I still don't know exactly what I'm going to do. I haven't heard anything from Luis Enrique and I don't want to ask for the job because I quit this one. I haven't spoken to Neymar since I left Barcelona and I don't want to hang around him for too long. I contemplate asking Oscar or David for some help because I just don't want to go back home so soon.

I had plans. I had ambitions and it all just ended abruptly because of a stupid rivalry. Idiots.

I look up at the street and spot Simon getting out of his car. He hesitates once he sees me but nods at me then walks into the building.

"Excuse me," a woman asks as she comes up to me. "Are you by any chance with Real Madrid, here for the photo shoot?"

"Yes," I respond as I stand up straight. "May I help you?"

"Are you Katalina? We spoke over the phone. Rona," she held her hand out and I took it, putting a face to the voice I spoke to yesterday.

"Nice to meet you, Rona," I say once I let go of her hand. "Come on up."

I spoke to the editor in chief of Cosmopolitan for Spain on the phone yesterday and set up an interview for the magazine and Iker. Some sort of segment on goalies and how they're all attractive but never get recognition.

I set the two of them up at the far end of the room and make my way back to the shoot.

About an hour later they finish up and Rona comes up to me.

"Thank you so much," she starts. "I haven't been able to get an interview in so long with Real Madrid and I'm the boss!" she begins to chuckle.

"Of course, absolutely. No problem at all," I smile.

I walk her all the way out of the building and before leaving she turns to me one last time.

"I hope you don't mind, Iker told me you were leaving the team," she starts and I stay quiet.

"You seem very qualified for your job and I've been hearing a lot about you though the grapevine. You have a degree in journalism," she adds.

"I do... yes," I tell her. "I'm not looking for a job at the moment, though."

"Oh, well, when you are looking for one, I'd love to have a word with you," she flashes me a smile then hands me a business card.

I'm left standing there with her card in hand and the sun shining on it. I stick it in my back pocket and head back up stairs.

Marcelo comes up to me with Toni when I make it past the door.

"So we're offering to help you pack," Toni says as they both smile at me warily.

"I love you guys," I say before letting out a sigh.