Chapter 25 - Eleanor

The offer from Councilman Harry was unexpected and confusing.

I wondered, when he first asked me if I'd like to go back with the council, why he was trying to take me from my mate. Weren't there laws against that?

I'd chosen to say yes after speaking with the woman he'd brought with him. Her name was Emma, and she was going to help me "rid myself of the rules of the Dark Wolves pack", as Harry had put it.

Ana, Jackson, and especially my mate had caused a lot of confusion; the way Harry had explained what the council's job was, I felt that he was going to show me the "right" way to live my life.

I felt scared to tell my mate that I would be leaving, but Emma assured me there was nothing he could do. His powers were temporarily taken away, and even if he'd had them, Leo would never have been able to stop the council.

When Emma and I were packing my things up, I was ashamed when I told her I didn't have any bags to use. She assured me that it would be alright, and my embarrassment only grew when she came back with a trash bag.

"We'll buy you some things when we get back," she'd said as she and I began to shove my clothing into the bag, "and a new wardrobe, too, while we're at it."

I silently helped her pack, and again was ashamed when the bag only got to about half full.

When Leo had stood in the doorway growling, I had to force myself not to perk up; I had thought he was going to fight for me more. I knew he had no powers, but to me it just looked like he didn't care. That made me feel better about leaving my mate.

I suddenly remembered something that wouldn't make me feel better about leaving him, in fact it made me feel much, much worse.

"Emma?" I got her attention and she turned around to face me as she slowed to a stop. We were on our way so see Councilman Harry, then say my goodbyes.

"Yes, Eleanor?"

"Once, a few weeks back I think, I got severely ill because I'd been away from my mate for a short time. What am I going to do when we leave?" I asked. Emma seemed to think for a few moments, then answered.

"We have some medication that you can take. It's in our emergency kit in the car we traveled here in. While it won't stop you from missing your mate, it will stop any pain you're in." It was a good enough answer, and I felt slightly better about going with them.

"What about my mate?" I asked. "He didn't seem to feel any pain last time, but is there enough medication for us to leave some for him?" Emma thought about it again.

"There would be, but you'd have to go a day or two without the medicine. Would that be alright?"

I frowned. Where were they from? Was the trip really that long?

"How long is the trip?" I asked Emma.

"About a week," she answered, "we can't fly in, so we drive the majority of the way there."

Emma gave me a soft smile and turned around to begin walking again.

Alex was sitting by the door when we arrived at my mate's office, nodding his head to Emma before she knocked.

"Come in," Councilman Harry answered, and we both stepped inside the office. Emma set the trash bag full of my clothes on the ground, and the councilman sat back in his chair.

"How is everything going, Miss Eleanor? Is packing going alright?"

"It went alright, Councilman. Thank you again for the offer," I said. He nodded his head and I let my gaze drift to my lap.