Chapter 33 - Eleanor

"Eleanor! How's the blanket coming?"

It was Councilman Harry, who I hadn't seen since I had first arrived at the Council. I smiled back at him, lifting up my progress.

"That looks great! Emma's mother taught you well," he said with a warm smile.

It's been about three weeks since Emma had questioned me at the picnic table. I met her mother the same day and she taught me how to knit, which I still haven't fully gotten the hang of. This will be my fourth try on a blanket, as the other ones have ended up being clumps of yarn with no visible end or beginning. This one seemed to be going well so far.

Against my own wishes, Emma had arranged training lessons with a member of the Council Guard. Because I wasn't totally comfortable being that close and trusting a male with my safety, Emma chose one of the top female generals.

Ashlynne was very kind, and didn't push me too hard mentally. Boy, did she push me physically. I had gained a lot of muscle mass thanks to her, but I also learned how to defend myself. Every day, between breakfast and lunch, I would train outside with her. Not only did I grow more comfortable around females, but males as well.

Defending myself was something I should have learned a long time ago.

As Councilman Harry stood before me though, I found fear flowing through my veins. I wasn't scared of him, but the news he might be bringing. Was it about Leonidas? Jackson? Ana?

"Your pack is fine, Eleanor. I have just come to check your progress, then I am going to visit your pack to check on Leonidas. Jackson has been telling me good things, so I think he may be able to take over the pack again."

He was going to visit? I gulped. I'd definitely been feeling the mate bond the last few days, and the positive energy flowing through us despite the distance was causing me to miss him. Emma had taught me that many of the things he had done as Alpha were not right, and I was starting to understand the actual definitions of right and wrong. So much had changed.

"When are you leaving?" I asked. As dumb as it sounded, I wanted to finish my blanket and have time to say goodbye to Emma and Ashlynne if I went with him. The mate bond was pulling me at this point, yanking me on a string to be with my soulmate. If Jackson said he changed, then he must have actually changed. He wouldn't lie.

"I'll be leaving a week from tomorrow. If you want to come with me, let me know in the next few days, alright? I will need to let Jackson know how many people are coming." I nodded, and the Councilman patted my shoulder before leaving. Emma entered after him.

"I think you're ready," she murmurs with a large smile. My eyes began to water, and concern took over her smiling face.

"I don't want to leave you guys, I just miss him and the Councilman says he thinks he's changed and—"

"It's alright," Emma began to shush me, "We can call, video chat, and even visit! You will be fine, I've spoken with Ashlynne and she agrees with me."

"You've spoken with Ashlynne?" I asked.

"I have" she answered, running her fingers through my hair, "Councilman Harry came to us yesterday and asked our opinion. We gave it to him." I nodded, and looked down in thought. Was I really ready to meet him?

"I came to tell you that dinner is ready, so let's go grab our food and there's something I want to talk to you about." She winked at me, and I smiled. "I like the blanket, too. It looks a lot better than your last ones." I smacked her lightly on her arm and she shrieked, laughing as she ran away.

I tossed my half-made blanket onto the bed and chased her out of my room, laughing hysterically. People stared as we jogged into the kitchen, but not for long before they went back to their own chatter.

Eating went by way too fast, and soon I found myself showered and changed, back in my bed making my blanket. I really hoped I didn't mess this one up. The more I sat in silence, the more I thought of Leonidas' pack... well, Jackson's pack as of right now. How were they doing?

For the first time ever Leonidas was pushing good vibes through the bond, and I wondered what had changed. Maybe Councilman Harry had given more information to Emma? Deciding to find out, I slipped a rob on over my nightgown and made my way down the hall to Emma's room.

I gave a quiet knock before entering.

"Emma? I have a quick question—oh my goddess!" I shouted, covering my eyes. There was a hurried whisper of curse words as clothes were thrown on, and the bathroom door was shut.

"You can open your eyes, Eleanor." Emma said quietly.

"I'm sorry!" I shouted as soon as I looked at her, "I didn't even think about you and Jim being in here! I'm so stupid, I'm so sorry! I'll just see you tomorrow." I shook my head.

Goddess, how could I have been so stupid! Of course her and her mate were together!

"Eleanor, it's alright, I promise." She said with a quiet chuckle. "He can wait. What's up?" She patted the bed next to her, but I chose to stay standing.

"I was just wondering... if the Councilman had mentioned my mate more at all? How the pack is doing?" The question sounded stupid and unnecessary as soon as it had come out of my mouth, and I regretted getting out of my bed in the first place.

"You're really worried about this, huh?" She wondered out loud. I simply nodded and looked at my feet. Jim was still in the bathroom.

"I can talk to Councilman Harry about moving up the trip, alright? For now, it can wait until tomorrow." She said with a small grin. I almost smacked her again as a blush covered my face. I turned around to leave.

"I'm sorry Jim!" I yelled, feeling the need to apologize to both of them.

"It's alright, Eleanor! Have a good night!" He shouted. I scurried to my room and tried to continue to knit to keep my mind off of Emma and Jim.

I awoke the next morning to giggling, and opened my eyes to find Ashlynne on my bed covering her mouth. I rolled my eyes and pulled the covers over my head as Emma walked into the room laughing too.

"It's not funny! It was embarrassing! I yelled, my voice muffled by the thick comforter over my head. Their laughing grew even louder, and I scowled before throwing the blanket off of me and storming into the bathroom.

Their laughing could be considered cackling by this point, and I'm pretty sure if I opened the bathroom door I would see them rolling on the floor. As I stepped into the shower their laughing faded away, and I thought about the same thing that had kept me up most of the night. Was I ready to see him?

The anxiety in me skyrocketed, and I found myself close to tears. What would we say and do? Would he be happy to see me, or scowl and wish I was back with the Council? I sighed and turned off the shower.

There was only one way to find out.

I quickly got dressed, noticing the girls were no longer in my room and walked straight to Councilman Harry's office. My shoulders drooped when it was empty, and I growled at my stupidity. Of course everyone would be at breakfast right now.

As I entered the kitchen my eyes flew across the room, desperately searching for the man who was responsible for who I was right now. He was at a table with the other council members, and I gathered my strength as I walked up to the table.

"Councilman Harry?" His head turned towards me, and I smiled at the kindness in his eyes.

"What can I help you with, Eleanor?" All of the Councilmen were staring at me now, and I rushed to get my answer out.

"I'd like to go with you back to my pack."