Chapter 32 - Leonidas

While the house wasn't anywhere near finished, I had made a lot of progress in the last week. The foundation had been poured in the beginning of the week, and the framing was almost finished as well.

Against my request, my brother had sent several men to assist me in finishing the house. I didn't want nor need their help, but he had placed them under my command and I was taking full advantage of it. The sooner I got this done, the sooner I would have my own solitude to get away from the pack.

"James! Go help Gage with finishing the western wall, Michaela, Jacob, and I will start on the roof. I want this finished before the sun goes down, understood?" We had just gotten back from lunch, and if this was actually finished by dusk, I would be sleeping on the floor of my new house.

About thirty minutes later a presence made itself known, and I couldn't stop myself form releasing a growl.

"Guys, clear out. I need to speak with Leonidas privately."

Another growl, louder and more intense, left my mouth as I jumped from the top of the framing to the ground.

"What do you want, brother? We're kind of busy here." Jackson simply sat atop one of the workbenches, and I snarled at him. We had settled things the other day, I was done talking to him.

"Have you thought about our talk, Leo?" Again, I snarled, both at the question and the name he called me.

"I have, Jackson. Is that all you wanted? You can take your leave, now."

"No matter the situation, you do not disrespect me. I will not be a tyrant but this attitude will not be tolerated. Understood?" Jackson asked. I stood with an annoyed growl before climbing back to the top of the unfinished house.

"You have serious anger issues, brother. I simply came for a conversation."

"And that conversation involves you taking my workers away from their job? I wanted to finish the roof before midnight," I snapped.

"Enough about the house, Leo. We have more serious matters to discuss, so come down here and speak to me face to face please," Jackson muttered. I cursed under my breath but followed his directions. Exhaustion covered his face, and I felt myself frown before I could stop it.

"I underestimated how much paperwork you went through in a single day, Leo, and for that I apologize," he said with a tired chuckle. I shook my head to dismiss his apology. We sat in silence for a few more moments before he stood and began to pace.

"Something has been bugging my wolf for a while now, but I really want to give you the benefit of the doubt." His words were getting jumbled, and I would actual worry filling my mind. Was he delirious?

"What is it, Jackson? You're making little to no sense." My eyes tried to make contact with his as he paced nervously.

"My wolf wants to keep you away from Ana, Leo. He sees you as a threat, and now that we've been given the power of Alpha, he wants you out of the pack." I frowned. He couldn't have told me this weeks ago? Before I had literally laid my foundation here?

"That's it then? I'm out of the pack, just like that?"

"That's not what I'm trying to say," Jackson forced out, clenching his eyes shut. "Unlike my wolf, I want you to stay. You're the only family I have, of course I want you to stay." When he worded it like that, I could understand why my wolf was upset whenever I snapped or yelled at Jackson. We were the only family we each had left.

"So what are you going to do?" I asked. If he wasn't going to kick me out of the pack, why was he here? Just to tell me a story?

"Well," he started as he motioned to the foundation of my house, "this is a great start. I believe having you away from Ana for a while will allow him time to forgive you and forget what you have done to both of us. As for me, I'd like to ask for an apology." As soon as he finished speaking I was growling and forcing myself not to stomp away.