Chapter 29 - Eleanor

My room was so different from anything I'd ever seen before.

Light blue drapes hung around the bed on all four sides, almost reaching the floor, and it was the biggest bed I thought I would see in my entire life. After Emma dropped me off at the door of my room, I couldn't resist running and jumping onto the bed with a quiet squeal.

It felt like I was floating on a cloud, and when a knock on the door awoke me the next morning, I realized I had never gotten up to change into sleepwear.

"Come in!" I said, tucking myself beneath the heavy blankets on the bed—yet another thing I had forgotten to do before falling asleep. Emma meandered into the room with a small smile on her face and a tray of food in her hands. She giggled when I threw the covers back excitedly, and a blush covered my face.

"It's alright, Eleanor. I know the beds are extra comfortable, I forget to change sometimes too. I brought you some breakfast!" Before Emma had finished speaking, I was cocking my head to the side in confusion.

"Why wasn't I woken up earlier? I don't have an alarm or anything, I should have been helping make breakfast!"

"Can I ask you something, Eleanor?" Emma asked. I don't know if she had meant to interrupt me, but either way she caught my attention.

"Yes, of course, Emma."

"Do you enjoy cooking?"

I frowned at the question. Of course I enjoyed it, what wasn't to enjoy?

"Yes, I do enjoy cooking. Why do you ask?" I questioned. Surely she wouldn't ask such a silly question for no reason?

"I mean," Emma sighed in frustration, setting the food down on the table at the side of the bed, "if you had to pick something to do in your free time, is that what you would choose?"

"I-I guess so? I don't know the answer to that Emma. I've never had free time before," I admitted with a sheepish smile and shrug.

"We'll find out together, alright? Don't worry about it at all."

I nodded, and turned to the tray of food on the small table next to the bed. My eyes found hers, silently asking permission, and she gave me a pitiful smile.

"You never have to ask for permission for anything, Eleanor. We just ask that you let us know if you are going to leave the building, so we know where you are. Alright?"

Frantically my head shook up and down in an affirmative action, and I grabbed the tray from the table. It was completely full with plates and bowls of delicious foods, all of which smelt absolutely amazing.

I reached for something familiar first. Blueberries were something that was plentiful in my old pack, so I knew I would enjoy them. I eyed Emma, then the food, wondering if she was going to watch me eat all of it.

"Alright, fine, I'll leave you be. Just make sure you eat enough, alright? I brought your bag in last night, so when you're ready, feel free to shower and get dressed! I'll be waiting in the living room, alright?" Emma asked, all in one breath. I nodded in response, and she strode out of the room.

As I continued to eat the blueberries, and maybe some biscuits that looked delicious, a small green bottle at the edge of the tray caught my eye. I picked it up and noticed it was the medication to help with the pain of being away from Leo. I frowned.

"Emma!" I shouted. Footsteps hurried up the stairs, and I flinched when Alex burst through the door with a large gun in his hand. I whimpered, dropping the tray to the floor and scurrying across the room. The tray fell with a loud smash, and Alex's eyes met mine before I also dropped them to the floor.