Chapter Twelve

"Oga gimme space lemme fry this thing well naaaa!! Shuuu!!!" Tseju said, irritated by the man beside her who constantly attempted to use his body as some sort of human shield between her and the frying pan.

"I'm just trying to protect you from the oil." Bayo answered, totally enjoying her annoyance. "Girl why don't you have a deep fryer??"

"In hostel? Deep fryer? Oga shift jhor! Nor lemme stab you with this spatula ohhh." She'd been frying one set of dodo for close to 13 years now and it was this over protective bears fault! No be today dodo oil don start to dey romance her skin.

He would have laughed, but then that would have mad her madder and he was not ready to die by hot oil. "Ah ah! Why so violent? Plus when did that become a spatula?"

"Sorry, don't lemme stab you with this turn- egg-inside-frying pan thing!"

"That's it, I'm getting you a deep fryer!"

And that was it, he got her a deep fryer.

That was nothing compared to the stand buy generator he "gifted" her hostel. She almost passed out the day it came. What happened was about a week before that, she'd been complaining about heat, then he offered to buy her an Air conditioner. To which she replied "Did i tell you that I don't have enough money to get one for myself?" She then explained that the hostel used a card meter, and that the caretaker would have her head because of the hike in electricity bills that an Air Conditioner would cost. So, he proposed she move to a flat. Of course, she turned him down because she was "... an independent woman who didn't need a man to take care of her."

Then, the obstinate man he was, two days after that argument, he went and bought the hostel a 40KVA stand-freaking-by generator!!!! With the landlord and caretakers blessings of course. She almost passed out. Of course no one knew who had done it, but she knew. Oh she knew who was responsible and she was going to give him hell.

"Bayo Ayodeji Jacobs!!! What is your problem???"

"I'm not following..."

"Why in Gods name do you spend money so recklessly? We know you have it in abundance, some of us don't need you to flock it!"

"First of all, don't shout when you're speaking to me, it's hurtful. Secondly, don't you think you're being a little selfish?"

She'd almost choked on her anger when he said that, but before she could put in a word, he began a tirade that drowned her 94 slide power point argument.

"You should be thankful that over 30 people have been blessed because of you. Because of you, they now don't have to worry about electricity. Their lives are at least 50% better now because your boyfriend cares about you enough to power the house you live in." But he wasn't done. "Secondly, it's my money. You will not tell me how to spend the money I've gone nights on end without sleep making. You can do that when we're married, not before. Or if at all you need to do that, do not speak to me in a condescending manner. I am not some child who goes about on an exorbitant spending spree for no just cause."

At the point of this particular confrontation, Tseju and Bayo’s relationship was barely 2 months old, what some would refer to as being in an infant stage. There was one thing Tseju had noticed about Bayo whenever he got upset or angry because of her. He didn't yell neither did he insult her. He was always calm, articulated and respectful, but he was brutal in his reasoning. He would take her argument apart piece by piece until it was in shambles. Then, upon that ash, he would build some new pillar for their relationship. It was maddening, and she loved/hated him for it.

"Thirdly, I'm an old fashioned man, i will spend on my girl even if she was the world's richest woman. Have i ever stopped you from cooking for me?? Don't i even assist you in cooking? Have you ever tried to spoil me? Have i ever stopped you? And what exactly is your problem with me spending on you? Have i ever asked for any favors in return? Have i tried to tell you what to do with what i give to you?"

"No, it's not that..."

"I enjoy spending on you. Let me. Before you, i wasn't exactly grateful for all i have, but now... Now I'm just so friggin happy i can make your life as comfortable as you need it to be. That i can be a blessing to the woman i love? It humbles me and gives me more joy than i ever thought possible."

With the brightest smile on his face blocking Tseju from any sort of rational thinking, he asked again, "Now, can i please get you an Air Conditioner?"

°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°

"Mummy he won't stop buying me thingsssss!!! It's not like i don't enjoy them oh but still he's overdoing it. And he's so over protective its annoying. He acts like a momma bear sometimes. Where are you? Have you eaten? Lemme know when you get home. Its like having two moms."

"It's the way he knows how to love sweety. Let him love you the way he knows how to and you, learn to allow yourself be loved. You're holding back, you're hiding behind your complaints and i can understand why. But, if you want this to work, you need to let go. I think you need to tell him about Benjamin."

"what? No naaa... Mom that could destroy our relationship. I can't do that."

"Your relationship will never reach 100 if someone is hiding a part of their history from the other. Our history shapes us, as has yours. Allow him know where you're coming from with your fears and doubts. At least give him the option of choosing you despite what you've done. This will always hang over your head mind you. You'll live with the fear forever, especially if the boy makes good his word to marry you."

"Leave all of that. When are you coming back mom? I miss you so much. Bayo also wants to meet you. Please leave that your child and come back home to your beloved."

"I miss you more than you know my child. I'll be back home baby. Soon." Mrs Mobijilade's voice went weak as she said those words, the pain in her heart weakened her voice and she hoped her child didn't notice. She looked on to the pale white walls of the hospital she'd woken up in and willed herself not to cry as she allowed the beeping sound of the machines lull her back to a dreamless sleep.

************************************
Oh no!! Why did Mrs Mobijilade wake up in a hospital?? What is happening?? Who else noticed she sounded calmer today? Wow. What's happening?

Oh la laaaaa!! Don't you just love the way Bayo loves Tseju?? Okay... I need to goan mourn my singleness in one corner.

Share your thoughts in the comments section, is Bayo overdoing it? Should Tseju cut it with the independent woman thing?? Telll meee!! Who else loves Tseju's mother????

Please don't forget to Vote, Comment and Share.

With Love 💋
Bolanle 🌹