Chapter 3: We Are Never Ever Ever Getting Back Together

I cannot believe my eyes. In front of me, sitting at the table, is my ex boyfriend. The man I loath.

I plaster on a fake smile and sit down at the dark oak dining table next to Jake.

"Alright, are we ready to eat?" Mr. Scott says with a smile.

We all nod and dig in, passing around baked chicken, basil potatoes and asparagus. I avert my eyes to my plate, trying to ignore anybody's eyes.

I feel Jake lean over, grab onto my waist then whisper, "Do you know him? I swear I have seen him before."

I look at Noah from the corner of my eye, then turn back to Jake and give him a small frown.

I can't believe, out of all the people in this world, Noah is the son of James Scott; who is coincidentally the same man who is renting out the vacation home for the weekend to the Andrews.

Small world after all. But today, the odds are not in my favor.

"Shut up Jake. Not right now." I reply coldly.

Jake knows Noah is my ex-boyfriend, he just likes to give me crap about it. Everybody does. He was the bad boy, and did all those terribly things to me. He called me Bucky too. That's why Jake gives me crap, because he never knew how much Noah actually hurt me.

Though, I have never told Jake, or anyone for that matter, what Noah did to me. I swore to him I wouldn't tell.

I punch Jake's arm, warning him to stop laughing and then start to cut my chicken.

"So! Noah, I heard you go to Westbrook High? The same school as Jake, Noelle and Ella, correct?" Mr. Andrews says, breaking the awkward silence.
Noah looks up at him politely and nods, smiling sweetly.
"Yes sir, that is correct. We do go to the same school."
I roll my eyes at how much of a suck up he is being right now. It's disgusting.
"Do you ever hang out?" Mr. Andrews asks.
All four of us kids shake our heads.
Mr. Andrews just frowns and shakes his head, allowing an awkward silence to overtake us once more.
"So, about the house...." Mrs. Andrews starts.
I decide to tune out of the conversation and grab some more chicken. I reach over the butter and grab the plate. But suddenly, a hand goes over my own, and stops me.
I look up and stare at those ice blue eyes, and a feeling overwhelms me. Heartbreak.
I pull my hand back and look at my plate, not wanting to look at him again.
"So, Ella?" Noah says sweetly.
I roll my eyes and force myself to look up at him.
"What do you want Noah?" I grumble.
He frowns, "Oh come on Ella. You shouldn't be so cold. I was just going to ask you how your father was doing?"
My eyes get wide with fury. How dare he ask about my father, when he knows exactly what our situation is at home.
"That is none of your concern." I reply sternly.
"Ella, just ignore him." Jake says, grabbing my arm gently.
I pull my arm away and grab the bowl of green beans next to me, and spoon some onto my plate. I look up momentarily to see Noah smirking at me.
I take a deep breath and eat a few green beans, trying my best to keep silent.
"Does your mother know what he does at 'pottery class'?" He whispers.
I slam my fist on the table and stand up, causing the whole table to go silent.
"Screw you!" I scream, "You are such a jerk!"
And without another word, I run upstairs to my room, tears running down my cheeks.
Why? What have I ever done to him? What made him think he could just go and embarrass me in front of my boyfriend's family as well as his very own father!
I slam the door and sit on my bed, wiping away the mascara that is now reaching my soaked cheeks.
Suddenly, someone knocks on the door.
"Go away!" I say, my voice breaking.
"Ella, it's me. Please let me in." Jake's voice pleads.
Composing myself, I walk over to the door and open it, revealing his sweet face.
Another tears slips from my eye, running down my face.
"Aw, sweet girl. Please don't cry." Jake says, wrapping his arms around my waist and pulling me close.
"Why?" I stutter in between sobs. "Why did he say those things? He knows that my father cheats on my mother, but why did he have to say it there. Now. In front of your parents?"
"Ella, don't worry about what my parents think. We all have problems within our family. Noah just wanted to hurt you, because he is hurting himself." Jake whispers, stroking my back.
I nod and wipe away my tears.
"Come here," he says, sitting down on my bed. "lay down with me for a while."
I agree and lay down next to him. He wraps his strong arms around my waist and pulls me against his chest.
"It's going to be okay Ella. I promise. I will always be there for you. Always." He says, kissing my temple.
I look at the bed, our intertwined hands and shut my eyes. Falling asleep to his breath, warm on my neck.