Chapter 10: Numb emotions and desperate feelings

Ella's POV

I wake up to the sound of a buzzing phone around two the next morning.

Startled from a good nights sleep, I sit up and rub my eyes before grabbing for my phone.

10 missed calls

I quickly flip open the front of my phone and look to see who the caller was.

10 missed calls from Mrs. Andrews.

I feel my heart jump out of my chest, fear creeping into my brain. I feel a little worried, because Mrs. Andrews never calls me. And certainly not ten times in the middle of the night.

I quickly dial her number. Each ring feels like an eternity.

"Hello?" I answer meekly.

I hear her crying, sobbing over the phone. And it scares me even more, so much that I feel cold, icy shivers creep slowly down my spine.

"Ella," Mrs. Andrews sobs.

I don't answer her back, I only clutch the phone tighter to my ear.

"Mrs. Andrews?" I whisper, hoping she can hear me over her sobs. They are heart breaking.

"Ella," she mumbles, regaining her voice, "It's Jake and Noelle. They've been in a car accident."

I feel my heart skip a few beats, and my brain get's foggy. I jump up, holding the phone to my ear, and slip on whatever shoes I can find, which at the moment are snow-boots.

"Ella," Mrs. Andrews whispers gently through the phone, "Jake and Noelle aren't going to make it, sweetheart. You need to get here soon."

I stop in my tracks, right in the middle of the staircase. My heart drops, tears welling up in my eyes. My heart stops. And I am scared, because I don't feel it beat again. At least, not that I'm aware of.

No, this can't be happening. This is just a dream. Please let it be a dream.

I rush down the stairs and fling open the door and take off running down the sidewalk toward the hospital. I know it will be faster this way. Driving would take to long, to have to find a place to park and such, when my time is ticking slower. The clock won't stop, even as I yell into the night.

I scream and sob, "Stop! Please, Stop!"

But the clock doesn't listen. Seconds, minutes are passing. One, two, three...four.

Ella, Jake and Noelle aren't going to make it.

Her voice, her words, echo in my head. And it only scares me more. I want to wake up right now, I have to wake up. Please, let this be a dream.

But I know, deep inside, that it's not.

But I don't have time to cry, all I can do is think about getting there. Getting to Jake.

I finally reach the doors of the hospital and I open them quickly, slipping inside. I spot the woman at the front desk, so I make my way towards her. I stop in front of her desk and lean down with my hands on my knees and take deep breaths. I had literally been running for fifteen minutes.

"Ma'am, I am looking for the rooms of Jake and Noelle Andrews." I ask, heavily breathing.

"Are you a relative?" she questions.

I stand up and look into her eyes, "Yes, I am. So please let me in! I am running out of time!"

She looks at me sadly and then replies, "Rooms 219 and 220, miss."