Chapter 5: I Knew You Were Trouble

I look up at him, at Noelle and then furrow my brows.

"What's the problem?" I ask, grabbing a hold of his shirt.

I always feel worried when he gets quiet like this. He just sighs and curses, which usually means he is mad. Jake doesn't yell, but when he does, World War III will break out.

He sighs and leans back, cursing under his breath.

I let go of him and frown, "Jacob Bennett Andrews!"

His eyes shoot open wide, he know's when I use his full name I am completely pissed off.

"What?" He says, looking at me with those giant green eyes. It is so hard for me not to smile at his sense of urgency, but, I decide to put on my best poker face.

"Tell me what's going on, with Noelle. Please? She's my friend too ya' know!" I plead, crunching my eyebrows together.

Just then, Noelle opens the car door and sits down in the seat in front of us. I sigh and fall back in my seat. All that hard work for nothing! Wow, Ella. That's your definition of hard work?

Yeah, I know. It's pathetic.

"Sorry." He whispers, "I will tell you when we get home."

The next few hours go by quickly, and before I know it, I am back at Jake's house. We all stumble out of the car and yawn, stretching our fatigued limbs.

I walk around to the back of the trunk and attempt to grab my bag, that is, before Jake grabs it. I roll my eyes, sometimes this boy! Oi! That's why I'm so lazy! He does everything for me!
I smile with a small chuckle and grab the bag from him.

"Would you like me to take you home?" Jake asks, twirling his keys in his perfectly sculpted fingers.

I grin and nod, quietly walking to his car. I sit down in the passengers seat, letting myself sink into the comfortable leather.

I buckle myself and then hug my bag close to my chest. Jake slips into the driver's seat and starts the engine of his jet black Chevy Corvette. He smiles and sighs, "Wow. That is hot."

I can't help but laugh inwardly. He has a weird obsession with sports cars, and the way the "engine sounds." I look out the window as we pull out of the driveway, passing a few houses down his rich neighborhood street.

"Okay, fine." he says, breaking the silence.

I look over at him, my eyebrows raised, "Fine, what?"

He looks at me then back at the road, "Fine. I will tell you. I hate it when you use that stupid 'silent treatment' on me."

I grin, looking over at him, "Okay, then tell me. What was the text about?"
He frowns, not looking at me. "It was a text from my friend, Tyler. It was, well, a forwarded message."

"From?" I urge. He bites his lip then says, "It was from Noah Scott. He wanted to, uh, well he wanted to date my sister."

I feel my eyes widen about ten inches.
"What?" I screech, making Jake swerve the car.

"Gracious, how did that not break the glass?" Jake laughs, holding a finger to his ear.

Usually, I would have laughed at this. But, right now, I am furious. I bet Noah is doing this just to get back at me. Just to take Noelle, break her fragile heart and then laugh in my face.

"Aren't you mad?" I yell, my face turning red. I clinch my fist, trying to restrain from hitting anything or anyone.

Jake swallows hard, "Yeah. I was. But. Tyler said he would take care of it. He will tell Noah that Noelle is off limits. And, if he dares make a move, I will get a hold of him. That won't be pretty."

I sigh and look out the window. I can't believe how calm he is about this! Noah would destroy Noelle's fragile heart, what the hell is he thinking?

"Babe, I think you need to calm down. It's not like I am going to let Noelle even get close to Noah. Please, just take a deep breath. It's not even you're problem anyway."

I am sure that I hear a snap inside my head, steam flows out of my ears. I swivel my head around so fast, I am surprised I didn't break my neck.
My lips part into an 'O' shape. Excuse me?

"Excuse me?" I snap, voicing my thoughts. Oh no he didn't.
"Oh no." He mumbles, his eyes wide. His grip tightens around the steering wheel as he turns the corner into my neighborhood.

"Okay, Ella, listen to me. Before you get all worked up. This is just between Noah, Noelle and I. I don't want you getting involved and getting hurt again." He says, attempting to calm me down.

I scoff, "Are you saying that I am going to fall in love with him again?"
He frowns, "No, that's not what I said."

I roll my eyes and look out the window, "Whatever Jake."

We turn onto my street in silence. "Ella," he starts.

"Let me out please." I say as calm as I can.

"Ella, sweetheart, please don't do th-"
"Jake Andrews, I said let me out." I say a little louder. I can feel tears prickle my eyelashes but I refuse to let them fall.

He slows down and pulls off onto the side of the street. He stops the car and turns in his seat towards me.

"Ella, I'm sorry."

I shake my head and open the car door. "Goodnight Jake."

I slam the door before he can reply. I take off briskly down the street before reaching my house and slowing down. I admit, I am a little hurt that he didn't follow me. I wanted him to, I don't know why.

I open my door and see my mother passed out on the couch. I roll my eyes, and ignore her. She is always drunk, or bringing home men on a weekly basis. She has done this since the day dad left us, and to be honest, I don't blame her.

I mean, I know there are other ways to hope. But, my mother seems to be happy. So, I stay quiet and stay out of the way. Last week she brought home a drug dealer, named Mike. God knows who else she will bring home next week.

I climb the stairs up to my room and close the door to my small bedroom. I look around my room, at my white dresser, white desk and gold wallpaper; everything is still left un-touched.

I flop myself down onto my blue and gold comforter and close my eyes, regret starting to flow through my body.

Why do I have to be such a hormonal, dramatic, teenage girl?

I open my eyes and look at my phone, no messages or missed calls. I sigh and close my eyes again. And that's when I let the silent tears stream down my cheeks.

I feel really bad. Even though Noelle is my best friend and Noah is my ex, I know that technically it wasn't my problem. I should have just kept my mouth shut. But, I felt so left out. I felt, like he didn't want my help. And for a second, that he didn't trust me. And that hurt.

I wipe away the tears with the back of my hand and stand up, shuffling over to my dresser. I grab some flannel sweats and one of Jake's t-shirt's he let me borrow and quickly change into those.

I climb into bed and cuddle up under my comforter. It isn't until I almost fall completely fall asleep that I jolt up in panic.

I forgot my bag in Jake's car! And to make matter's worse, it has my makeup!