Elders

And so the next morning, they went. Making their way through the Korcari Wilds, they came to the little hut that haunted Alistair's nightmares. Flemeth was waiting for them, looking as though she hadn't moved since they left.

"So," she said. "Lovely Morrigan has finally found someone willing to dance to her tune. What pictures has she painted for you?"

Una stood her ground, looking at the older woman calmly. "I am here to talk. For the moment."

"Will you play your own tune, then?" Flemeth asked.

"I want to know the truth."

"Do you? Do you really? The lie can be so much more fun." When Una looked at her severely, Flemeth just laughed. "But it is an old, old tale. Even Flemeth has told it, a time or two."

"How does it end this time?" Una asked.

"Perhaps like this: Morrigan wants my grimoire? Take it. Tell her I am slain."

"And you?"

"Disappear. Perhaps I visit Morrigan again ... perhaps I merely watch. It would be interesting indeed to see what she does with her freedom."

"What do I get out of this?"

"You get to keep her." Flemeth's voice hardened. "And make no mistake—the time will come when you will want her." She looked at Alistair, then back at Una, and a small smile glimmered in her eyes. "Even he will ... want her."

Alistair's lip curled. "Do you want to explain that remark?" he asked.

Flemeth laughed. "Now where would be the fun in that?" But the laughter didn't reach her eyes. "Do we have an agreement?"

Una studied the older woman, weighing the options carefully. Something told her that doing battle with Flemeth was a far more daunting task than it seemed, and there was still a Blight left to fight. "We do."

"Excellent. The grimoire is in the chest in my hut." Flemeth waited while they went into the hut and got the grimoire and then came back out. "Best of luck on your way, Wardens. I can guarantee that we will not meet again."

Una crossed her arm over her chest, bowing slightly. Flemeth inclined her head. Then Una's team headed back through the Wilds, toward camp. "Zev," Una shot over her shoulder.

"My lady?"

"You're aware that as far as Morrigan is concerned, Flemeth is dead?"

"Ah. Of course."

"I would be willing to believe it won't be the first time you've reported someone dead who is actually living."

She could hear the grin in Zev's voice. "The beautiful Warden presumes a tender heart which may or may not exist."

"But you will do it?" Una asked impatiently.

"Flemeth is dead, of course," he said in mock innocence. "What other choice would there have been?"

They paused to mess up their armor, cutting some scratches on themselves and generally trying to make it look like they'd been in a battle. Where were the darkspawn when you needed them? Una thought in annoyance. She was glad she had suggested that the other three women pack up the camp and start ahead, letting the rest of the team catch up. It would take longer to reach them and hopefully offer more chances at battle before they met up with Morrigan.