First

By nightfall they were repacked and ready to head out for Haven in the morning. Una had recommended that everyone get a decent night's sleep, so they all turned in relatively early. She headed back to her room, finding Alistair already there. A roaring fire was burning in the fireplace, the bed was turned down invitingly, and he held a bouquet of lovely flowers, probably stolen from the Arlessa's forcing house.

Una closed the door behind her. "Who are those for?"

"I thought Grenli might like them," he said.

"Very thoughtful of you, but they make him sick."

"I guess I'll have to give them to you, then." They grinned at each other.

Una took the flowers, burying her nose in them. "They're lovely, my darling."

"Una," he said. "This is the way I wanted our first time to be. Special, you know."

She looked at him. "You weren't happy with our first time?"

"Oh, I was! And—and I couldn't have waited any longer." His voice was hoarse at the memory.

"Me, neither. I felt I'd waited long enough already."

"I love you, Una. I still ... have a hard time believing that someone like you really cares for me. It might take me a while to get used to."

Laying the flowers gently down on a table, she put her arms around him. "I love you, too, Alistair. And I'm not going anywhere. As long as you aren't, either, you can take your time getting used to it." She blushed a little, looking away. "To tell you the truth, it's a little strange for me, too. I've been so used to being the awkward girl that no one was interested in. I wish I was better-looking."

"You're beautiful," he said, stroking her honey-blond hair. "Everyone can see it but you."

"And you're wonderful. Everyone can see that but you."

"Hmm," he said noncommittally. Taking her hand, he led her over to the bed, pulling her down onto the soft mattress. He drew her to him, kissing her gently. Slowly he kissed his way down her neck. Sliding his hands under her shirt, he pushed it up and over her head. He began nibbling softly at her shoulder. Una moaned, her fingers threading through his hair and stroking the back of his neck, feeling him shudder. Running her own hands up his back, she pushed his shirt off over his head, lowering her head to draw her mouth over the firm muscles of his chest. Putting his hands on her shoulders, he pulled her up so he could claim her lips again. They lay back onto the pillows, their hands wandering over each other's bodies while they kissed.

Alistair reached around her back, unhooking her breastband. "I can't believe I found you in all of this," he whispered. He took her breasts in his hands, massaging them gently, his thumbs rubbing her nipples. Una gasped, arching her back. She'd always thought her breasts were too small, but he didn't seem to find them lacking. He bent down and took one of her nipples in his mouth, suckling gently as she moaned. She shifted restlessly beneath him, wrapping one leg around the back of his thighs, undulating against him, her hands gripping his shoulders.

He sat up, breaking contact. Una whimpered at the sudden chill. "Patience," he said, chuckling.

"Not my strong suit," she said, trying to pull him back to her.

He laughed, sliding his hands under the waistband of her pants, pulling them gently off. His hands gently caressed her legs, and he nipped at the back of her knee, kissing his way up the outside of her thigh, one hand reaching between her legs and caressing her through her smallclothes. Una moaned again, thrusting against his hand. Needing to feel his mouth on hers, she sat up, taking his face in her hands and kissing him. She shifted so she was sitting in his lap, and she couldn't help rubbing herself against him. It was his turn to moan, pushing up against her. Then she pressed him back against the pillows, unfastening his breeches and sliding them off him. She crawled up across his chest, making sure to stroke him with her bare breasts. He drew in a sharp breath as she slithered over him, her mouth meeting his again, kissing him hungrily. Their bodies rubbed together, creating a heated friction. As if by agreement, they both removed their smallclothes, and Una shifted to take him inside her. Groaning, he thrust up into her as she came down on him. Alistair sat up, holding her to him as they rocked together. The feeling was exquisite, and they never wanted it to end, clinging to each other and moving slowly to make it last as long as possible.

At last they couldn't stand it anymore. Their movements became more hurried, their breathing shorter, their mouths meeting frantically as their pleasure peaked. They sank back into the bed together, holding each other close.

"So that was the way the first time was supposed to go," he said, kissing her temple.

"That was lovely. Still, I'm glad we didn't wait. I'd never have lasted this long."

"Same here." He laughed.

Una tucked her head into the curve of his neck, snuggling close and sighing.

"I'm completely spoiled now, you know. I'll never be able to sleep by myself again."

"That was the plan," she murmured sleepily.

"Una?"

"Yes?"

"Can I ask you a question?"

"Of course."

"When did you first—start thinking about me?"

She lifted her head, looking at him. "The moment I met you."

"Really?"

"Oh, yes. The first time you shook my hand, I thought I was going to faint. I kept thinking I must sound like a gibbering idiot because I had completely forgotten how to breathe and had no idea what I was saying to you."

Alistair held her tenderly. "I couldn't tell. I was too busy thinking Duncan must have made a mistake, that you were way too young to be a Grey Warden."

"Great. So I'm falling in love with you while you're thinking I'm some kid who doesn't know what she's doing."

"Something like that." He chuckled. "It didn't take me long to get over thinking that, but it never occurred to me that someone like you might look twice at me ... much less that I had any right to be thinking about you. Not until you told me you thought I was handsome."

"I thought I had completely messed things up by doing that."

"And yet here we are."

"Needing to get some sleep," she said reluctantly. "Early morning and all."

"Of course, we're Grey Wardens," he said. "We don't sleep much."

"Oh, no, you don't," she said, grabbing the hand that had started to wander down her back. "Tonight we're getting some actual sleep."

"Spoilsport."